Solve Logarithmic Equation: Log _3(x-5) + Log _3(x+3)=2

• Thread starter Illuvitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary: Just to check, can you please show us the factorisation you did after subtracting 24 from both sides? There should be one positive and one negative root.I didn't use the quadratic formula but I did try factoring it after subtracting 24 from both sides but I got negative roots and I thought you couldn't have those in a logarithms domain? Sorry... I know this is easy math for a lot of you but I am teaching this to myself and am having a bit of trouble. Ill use the quadratic formula thanks.Just to check, can you please show us the factorisation you did after subtracting 24 from both sides? There should be one positive and one
Illuvitar

Homework Statement

##log _3\left(x-5\right) + log_3\left(x+3\right) = 2##

I'm having trouble with applying properties of logarithms to solve equations, I think misunderstanding something fundamental here, I get most of the questions right but there are a handful that I have no idea what I am doing. Please help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to condense the logs into one with the product rule so:
##log_3\left(x^2-2x-15\right) = 2##

then I rewrite it in exponential form:
##3^2=x^2-2x-15##

Now I figured that getting rid of the logs would make this quadratic equation manageable but I am coming up nowhere near the right answer (I peaked, its 6).

If I add 15 to both sides I get:
##24=x^2-2x##

but I don't know what to do with the quadratic...I feel like I messed up trying to get rid of the logs but I can't really identify where I screwed up. I tried to rework it a couple times with different tricks but I still am nowhere close. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quadratic formula?

Well I didn't use the quadratic formula but I did try factoring it after subtracting 24 from both sides but I got negative roots and I thought you couldn't have those in a logarithms domain? Sorry... I know this is easy math for a lot of you but I am teaching this to myself and am having a bit of trouble. Ill use the quadratic formula thanks.

Just to check, can you please show us the factorisation you did after subtracting 24? There should be one positive and one negative root.

Likes 1 person
Illuvitar said:
Well I didn't use the quadratic formula but I did try factoring it after subtracting 24 from both sides but I got negative roots and I thought you couldn't have those in a logarithms domain? Sorry... I know this is easy math for a lot of you but I am teaching this to myself and am having a bit of trouble. Ill use the quadratic formula thanks.

Why can't you use the quadratic formula?

An alternative is simply to "complete the square":

For example, take ##x^2 +2x - 3=0##. I want to write this as ##(x +1)^2 + F=0## for a certain ##F##. Clearly ##F=-4##. So the equation becomes ##(x+1)^2 -4 = 0##. Thus ##(x+1)^2 = 4##. Hence, ##x+1 = \pm 4##.

Likes 1 person
Crap. I messed up on the factoring, I should have gotten (x-6)(x+4) but I wrote on my paper (x+6)(x+4). thanks.

And I guess I just didn't think to use the quadratic formula(or completing the square), usually when I use it I end up with complex roots and I think for logs I have to have real non-zero solutions. I'm not sure, I just started learning logs yesterday.

Oh and I have one more if you guys don't mind. This is one of the ones where I don't know where to start.

Homework Statement

##log(x+4)= logx+log4##

Homework Equations

I used the product rule to condense the right side
##log(x+4)=log(4x)##

but after that I have no idea what to do...

Illuvitar said:
Oh and I have one more if you guys don't mind. This is one of the ones where I don't know where to start.

Homework Statement

##log(x+4)= logx+log4##

Homework Equations

##log(x+4)=log(4x)##

If the logs of two numbers are equal, then the two numbers are equal.

Also, it's a good idea right at the start, to indicate what numbers are allowed for each of the log expressions. In this problem, you must have x > - 4 for log(x + 4) to be defined, and you must have x > 0 for log(x) to be defined. Together, these mean that x > 0.

Illuvitar said:

Homework Statement

##log(x+4)= logx+log4##

Homework Equations

##log(x+4)=log(4x)##

Move the logs to one side :smile: Also keep in mind that [itex]a^0=1[/itex] for any positive a.

Mark44 said:
If the logs of two numbers are equal, then the two numbers are equal.

Also, it's a good idea right at the start, to indicate what numbers are allowed for each of the log expressions. In this problem, you must have x > - 4 for log(x + 4) to be defined, and you must have x > 0 for log(x) to be defined. Together, these mean that x > 0.

Okay. So the equation becomes
##x+4=4x##
its not a quadratic so I can't factor it into two roots right? I am sorry I still don't know what to do from here...

Mentallic said:
Move the logs to one side :smile: Also keep in mind that [itex]a^0=1[/itex] for any positive a.

If I move them to one side I get

##log(4x/x+4)=0## because of the quotient property right? but I don't know how to simplify it further.
And I am not sure I understand how I should use ##a^0=1##
its seems like the terms have an implied power of 1.

Illuvitar said:
Okay. So the equation becomes
##x+4=4x##
its not a quadratic so I can't factor it into two roots right?
Right, it's not a quadratic. Add -x to both sides. This is really a simple equation...
Illuvitar said:
I am sorry I still don't know what to do from here...

Illuvitar said:

##log(4x/x+4)=0## because of the quotient property right? but I don't know how to simplify it further.

##e^0 = ...##

Mark44 said:
This is really a simple equation...

Alright sorry...

Illuvitar said:

You have really made it complicated. Also, I think the fraction is intended to be ##\frac{4x}{x + 4}##, so you should have written it as 4x/(x + 4) if that's what you meant. Without the parentheses, knowledgeable people would interpret it as (4x/x) + 4.
Illuvitar said:
Of course. x is the same as x1.

Illuvitar said:

I woke up too early this morning to start answering questions. Clearly if

[tex]\log(a)=\log(b)[/tex] then a=b. Moving everything to one side, using a log property and then using the definition of logs as so:

[tex]\log(a)=\log(b)[/tex]

[tex]\log(a)-\log(b)=0[/tex]

[tex]\log\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a}{b}=1[/tex]

[tex]a=b[/tex]

Is just a long winded way of showing the same thing.

1. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you need to use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You may also need to use the inverse property of logarithms to rewrite the equation in exponential form. Once you have simplified the equation, you can solve for the variable.

2. What are the steps for solving Logarithmic Equation: Log _3(x-5) + Log _3(x+3)=2?

Step 1: Use the product rule to combine the two logarithms into one logarithm.Step 2: Use the inverse property of logarithms to rewrite the equation in exponential form.Step 3: Simplify the exponential equation.Step 4: Solve for the variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a logarithmic equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a logarithmic equation. Most scientific calculators have a "log" button that allows you to input the base and the argument of the logarithm. However, it is important to understand the steps and properties involved in solving a logarithmic equation and not solely rely on a calculator.

4. What is the domain of a logarithmic equation?

The domain of a logarithmic equation is all positive real numbers. This is because logarithms are only defined for positive numbers. In the given equation, the argument of the logarithms (x-5 and x+3) must be greater than 0 for the equation to be valid.

5. Can I have more than one solution to a logarithmic equation?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution to a logarithmic equation. In the given equation, there may be two values of x that satisfy the equation. This is because logarithmic functions are not one-to-one, meaning multiple inputs can have the same output. Therefore, it is important to check your solution to ensure it is valid for the original equation.