Logarithms and Index Laws help

In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling with logarithms and index laws while trying to complete a revision sheet. They ask for an example and help with the questions. Another person suggests simplifying log4+log6 to log24, but the original person is unsure if it's correct. The conversation ends with confirmation and the suggestion to not simplify further.
xX-Cyanide-Xx
!Logarithms and Index Laws help!

Ive been trying to complete a revision sheet but it has logarithims and index laws, and i don't know how to do them. I've included a few of the hardest questions frome the revision sheet in the attachment.

...Look at attachment....

I've tried the first question fir the logs:
Log 6 + Log 4
So i separated the two logs and didthem sepratly:
Log 6
x = Log^10 (6)
10^x = 6?

Log 4
x = Log^10 (4)
10 = 4 ?

Then i get stuck there, could someone please show me an example so i can attempt the rest of the questions on the sheet.

And with the index laws i couldn't even start, had no idea wat to do.

can someone please help!

Attachments

• Logs.doc
    39 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

umm... i don't know if this is what they are asking for...
log4+log6 = log24
is that simplifying?

THAT SOUNDS ABOUT RITE, THEN I CAN JUST SIMPLIFY IT further.

can someone else check it as well, cus I'm still a little confused.

So Log 24
x = Log^10 (24)
then get rid of the log:
10^x = 24^?
But wat power should 24 be so that it equals 10.

is this even correct?

Someone please help.

xX-Cyanide-Xx said:
THAT SOUNDS ABOUT RITE, THEN I CAN JUST SIMPLIFY IT further.
No further simplification. That is the answer.

Really, so its just Log 24?

xX-Cyanide-Xx said:
Really, so its just Log 24?

Yes.

Ok thanks so much for the help.

What are logarithms and index laws?

Logarithms and index laws are mathematical tools used to simplify and solve equations involving exponents. They are especially useful for solving complex exponential equations and for making calculations with large numbers more manageable.

What is the purpose of using logarithms and index laws?

The purpose of using logarithms and index laws is to make solving equations involving exponents easier and more efficient. These laws provide a set of rules for manipulating and simplifying exponential expressions, making them more manageable for calculations and problem solving.

How do logarithms and index laws work?

Logarithms and index laws work by converting exponential expressions into simpler forms that are easier to solve. For example, the logarithm of a number is the power to which a base number must be raised to equal that number. Index laws allow us to manipulate and combine exponential expressions by adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them according to specific rules.

What are some real-life applications of logarithms and index laws?

Logarithms and index laws have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, finance, and science. They are used in population growth and decay models, calculating interest rates and compound interest, and measuring the magnitude of earthquakes and sounds. They are also used in data compression and encryption techniques.

What are some tips for solving problems involving logarithms and index laws?

Some tips for solving problems involving logarithms and index laws include: understanding the basic properties and rules of logarithms and indices, carefully identifying the base and exponent in each expression, using algebraic techniques to simplify the expressions, and checking your answers by substituting them back into the original equation. It is also helpful to practice with different types of problems to become more comfortable with using these laws.