Draw a complete truth-table for the following sentence

• Thread starter robert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary: InvalidUnder which interpretation?Try these again.(T -> T) is T(T -> F) is F(F -> T) is T(F -> F) is T
robert
I need someone to tell me if I answered these questions correctly and if not explain what I did wrong. My answers are in bold.

1. Indicate which of the following are true and which are false in an interpretation in which A and B are false and C is true.
a) (A v (B ^ C)) (false)
b) (-A ^ (B v C)) (true)
c) ((A v B) ^ C) (false)
d) (-(A ^ B) ^ C) (true)
e) (C -> (A -> B)) (false)
f) (A -> (C -> B))) (false)
g) (-A -> (A <-> B)) (false)
h) ((A <-> B) <-> C) (true)
i) ((A <-> -B) <-> (B <-> -A)) (true)
j) (((A ^ C) -> B) <-> (B -> (A ^ C)) (false)

2. Draw a complete truth-table for the following sentence and indicate whether it is valid or invalid.
(((B ^ C) -> A) <-> ((B -> A) v (C -> A)))
I think it's Invalid

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robert said:
e) (C -> (A -> B)) (false)
f) (A -> (C -> B))) (false)
g) (-A -> (A <-> B)) (false)
j) (((A ^ C) -> B) <-> (B -> (A ^ C)) (false)
Try these again.
(T -> T) is T
(T -> F) is F
(F -> T) is T
(F -> F) is T
2. Draw a complete truth-table for the following sentence and indicate whether it is valid or invalid.
I think it's Invalid
Under which interpretation?

honestrosewater said:
Try these again.
(T -> T) is T
(T -> F) is F
(F -> T) is T
(F -> F) is T
Under which interpretation?

Ya I wasn't sure what to do with if cases. I think I understand it now.

Doesn't valid mean it is true under all interpretations?

Here are my new answers now that I understand how if statements work.

1. Indicate which of the following are true and which are false in an interpretation in which A and B are false and C is true.
a) (A v (B ^ C)) (false)
b) (-A ^ (B v C)) (true)
c) ((A v B) ^ C) (false)
d) (-(A ^ B) ^ C) (true)
e) (C -> (A -> B)) (true)
f) (A -> (C -> B))) (true)
g) (-A -> (A <-> B)) (true)
h) ((A <-> B) <-> C) (true)
i) ((A <-> -B) <-> (B <-> -A)) (true)
j) (((A ^ C) -> B) <-> (B -> (A ^ C)) (true)

I think it's valid

Yes, unless I made mistakes, they're all correct now. But I suggest that you look up your definition of valid. The use of <-> in the statement gives me doubts. My definition of valid doesn't apply to statements but to arguments: an argument is valid iff there exists no interpretation where the premises are all true and the conclusion is false. IOW, if all of the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true (this allows for the case that all of the premises cannot be true together). So they should have used something to specify a set of premises and a conclusion. In using <->, I assume that they mean for ((B ^ C) -> A) and ((B -> A) v (C -> A)) to take turns as premise and conclusion, but you may want to make sure.

1. What is a truth-table?

A truth-table is a visual representation of all possible combinations of input values for a logical expression, along with the resulting output value. It is used to determine the truth value of a compound statement for every possible combination of its component statements.

2. How is a truth-table organized?

A truth-table is organized in columns, with each column representing a different input variable. The last column represents the output value. The number of rows in a truth-table is determined by the number of input variables and the number of possible combinations.

3. What is a complete truth-table?

A complete truth-table includes all possible combinations of input values for a given logical statement. This means that every possible combination of input values is accounted for, and the corresponding output value is shown for each combination.

4. How do you fill in a truth-table?

To fill in a truth-table, you start by listing all possible combinations of input values in the first columns. Then, you apply the logical operators to the input values to determine the output value for each combination. The output value is then placed in the last column of the table.

5. Why are truth-tables used in logic?

Truth-tables are used in logic to determine the validity and truth value of logical statements. They provide a clear and systematic way of evaluating complex logical expressions and can help identify any errors or contradictions in a statement. They are also useful in simplifying and solving logical problems.