Base 8 Logic Puzzle: Finding Solutions to Divisibility Rules

In summary, the number ##ab## is divisible by 3 if and only if it is written in octal, and it is also divisible by 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Additionally, the number ##abc## is divisible by 3 if and only if it is written in base eight, and the number ##abcd## is divisible by 4 if and only if it is written in base eight.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author

Homework Statement

We call a seven digit number in base eight X, whose digits are given by

##abcdefg##

No digits are zero, and none of them are the same. The following divisibility rules are true:

(I)The number ##ab## is divisible by 2
(II) The number ##abc## is divisible by 3
(III)The number ##abcd## is divisible by 4
(IV)The number ##abcde## is divisible by 5
(V)The number ##abcdef## is divisible by 6
(VI)X is divisible by 7

Find all solutions that satisfy these constraints. No credit will be given to brute force or computational solutions.

Hint: Start from proposition one and carefully reason your way through the digits.

Homework Equations

Divisibility of a number in base n by n-1 requires that the sum of the digits also be divisible by n-1

There's probably some other rules I'm not privy to, and google hasn't produced.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started from the beginning saying that a solution to ##ab## is just an even number with no zero or repeats. So:

a can be (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) and b has to be (2,4,6)

Similarly:

c, e, and g can also be (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) as long as there are no repeats

and

f has to be an even number as well so f is (2,4,6)

and

d has to be 4, similarly to how being divisible by 5 in base 10 means it ends in 5 or 0

and

This means a, c, e, and g can only be (1,3,5,7)

Also, the order of what a, c, e, and g, as well as b, and f are is irrelevant to proposition 6, since any order will be divisible by 7.

I cannot figure out how to reduce this any further.

Physics news on Phys.org
[deleted].

Bump, no takers?

Perhaps it is time to do some numerical work. For abc you will have less than 32 possibilities. How many of those are divisible by 3? Etc.

PhotonSSBM said:

Homework Statement

We call a seven digit number in base eight X, whose digits are given by

##abcdefg##

No digits are zero, and none of them are the same. The following divisibility rules are true:

(I)The number ##ab## is divisible by 2
(II) The number ##abc## is divisible by 3
(III)The number ##abcd## is divisible by 4
(IV)The number ##abcde## is divisible by 5
(V)The number ##abcdef## is divisible by 6
(VI)X is divisible by 7

Find all solutions that satisfy these constraints. No credit will be given to brute force or computational solutions.

Hint: Start from proposition one and carefully reason your way through the digits.

Homework Equations

Divisibility of a number in base n by n-1 requires that the sum of the digits also be divisible by n-1

There's probably some other rules I'm not privy to, and google hasn't produced.
Actually, you are privy to some other divisibility tests. That's how you determined that b, d, and f are each even, and also deduced that f = 4.

Unfortunately, the divisibility test for (n - 1) in base n representation isn't of any help, since in this case (n - 1) = 7 which is prime. (In decimal representation (base ten), the divisibility test for 9 also gives the divisibility test for 3, because 3 divides 9.)

In base ten, there is a divisibility test for 11. There is a similar divisibility test for nine in base eight. Nine is written as 11[eight] . In base eight, this same test works for divisibility by 3.

Do you know in general the basis for divisibility tests?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Do you know in general the basis for divisibility tests?

I do not outside of the n-1 rule you mentioned. I know that you can derive the other divisibility rules from that one, but that's about it.

PhotonSSBM said:
I do not outside of the n-1 rule you mentioned. I know that you can derive the other divisibility rules from that one, but that's about it.
Use modular arithmetic. You can get pretty complicated, for a number with an arbitrary number of digits with an arbitrary base, or in this case, you can be somewhat more specific.

Example:
The number written abc in octal is equal to a×82 + b×8 +c .
You have abc is divisible by three, so that
a×82 + b×8 +c ≡ 0 mod 3​
8 ≡ 2 ≡ -1 mod 3
82 ≡ 1 mod 3
Therefore, in general, a×82 + b×8 +c ≡ (a -b + c) mod 3 .
But specifically, since abc is divisible by 3, and b = 2 or 6:
a + c - 2 = 3 m, some multiple of 3​
or
a + c - 6 = 3 m', also some multiple of 3​
It turns out that you divisibility

Similarly (V) says the 6 divides abcdef, but as you observed this means that 2 and 3 each divide abcdef.
You already have that divisibility by 2 gives f = 2 or 6.
For divisibility by 3, we can extend what we did above. 8 ≡ -1 mod 3, so 82 ≡ (-1)2 = 1 mod 3, etc. Similar to taking -1 to whole number powers. 8odd ≡ -1 mod 3 and 8even ≡ 1 mod 3.

Use that along with the fact that you know the sum, b + d + f = 12

If 6 | abcdef, then abcdef ≡ a(-1) + b(1) + c(-1) + d(1) +e(-1) +f mod 3.

This leads to b + d + f - (a + c + e) = 3n for some integer n.

Rearranging gives a + c + e = 3n' , a different integer.

That might not look all that helpful, but a, c, e, and g is each a different odd integer, their sum is 16. Only two of the four possible sums of three are divisible by 3. Therefore, you know a, c, and e must come from {1,3,5} or from {3,5,7) .

Division of abcde by 5 is the complicated one.
8 ≡ 3 ≡ -2 mod 5
82 ≡ 32 ≡ -1 mod 5
83 ≡33 ≡ 2 mod 5
84 ≡(-1)2 ≡ 1 mod 5​
You know that d = 4 and b = either 2 or 6. These are the only two digits multiplied by 2 or -2. That's helpful.

Narrow the possibilities down, then include the division of abc by 3 .I get that there are 3 such seven digit base eight numbers.

Likes PhotonSSBM
@PhotonSSBM ,

Have you found any solutions to this?

Yes! They're turned in though. I can post them when I get the assignment back.

Edit: too busy to reproduce them now.

Likes SammyS
PhotonSSBM said:
Yes! They're turned in though. I can post them when I get the assignment back.

Edit: too busy to reproduce them now.
Looking forward to that.

I won't post anything more on details until we see a post with your results. However, I do have some comments I'll make now.

If I were to give this exercise, I would be inclined to use slightly different numbering for the divisibility requirements. I would have:
i) The octal number ##\ a\ ## is divisible by 1 .
ii) The octal number ##\ ab\ ## is divisible by 2 .
iii) The octal number ##\ abc\ ## is divisible by 3 .
etc .​
vi) The octal number ##\ abcdef\ ## is divisible by 6 .
vii) The octal number ##\ abcdefg\ ## is divisible by 7 .​
This simply gives a short-cut way to state the requirements. " The base eight number formed using the first n digits is divisible by n. " This has no significance in regard to obtaining a solution.

Requirement i) is obviously true no mater which digit is used for ##\ a\ . ##
Requirement vii) is true because the seven digits are all different and 1+ 6 = 2 + 5 = 3 + 4 = 7, so that 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6+ 7 is a multiple of 7 .

Those two divisibility requirements are no help whatsoever in solving the problem

1. How is a logic puzzle in base 8 different from a regular logic puzzle?

A logic puzzle in base 8 uses a different numbering system, also known as octal, instead of the usual base 10. This means that instead of the digits 0-9, it uses the digits 0-7 to represent numbers.

2. What are the benefits of solving a logic puzzle in base 8?

Solving a logic puzzle in base 8 can help improve critical thinking skills, as it requires a different approach and perspective compared to base 10 puzzles. It can also be a fun and challenging way to learn about different numbering systems.

3. Are there any tips for solving a logic puzzle in base 8?

Some tips for solving a logic puzzle in base 8 include understanding the octal number system, practicing converting between base 10 and base 8, and using logical deductions to narrow down possible solutions.

4. Can a logic puzzle in base 8 be solved without knowledge of octal numbers?

While having knowledge of octal numbers can be helpful, it is not necessary to solve a logic puzzle in base 8. As long as you understand the rules of the puzzle and use logical deductions, you can solve it without prior knowledge of the numbering system.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving logic puzzles in base 8?

Logic puzzles in base 8 can be useful in computer programming, as many programming languages use octal numbers to represent data. It can also be a useful skill in certain fields of mathematics and engineering.