Template Didn't Work: Troubleshooting Bi-Conditionals

In summary: So, for 13b and 13d, where p is false, it doesn't matter if q is true or false. For 13c, however, p is true, so q must also be true for the implication to be true.In summary, the conversation discusses propositions and their truth values, as well as determining the truth values of bi-conditionals. It is explained that for an implication to be false, the hypothesis must be true and the conclusion must be false, and it is determined that 13a is false while 13b, 13c, and 13d are all true.
XodoX
Sorry, the template didn't really work for those questions.

1.)
Which of these sentences are propositions? What are their truth values?
a)Boston is the capital of Massachusetts. -> Proposition, but what do they mean by truth values? F and T? Then it would be T.

b) Miami is the capital of Florida. -> proposition. Truth value F?

13. Determine if these bi-conditionals are true or false

a) If 1+1=2, then 2+2=5.

b) If 1+1=3, then 2+2=4.

c) If 1+1=3, then 2+2=5

d) If monkeys can fly, then 1+1=3

Those are all FALSE, right??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
XodoX said:
Sorry, the template didn't really work for those questions.

1.)
Which of these sentences are propositions? What are their truth values?
a)Boston is the capital of Massachusetts. -> Proposition, but what do they mean by truth values? F and T? Then it would be T.

b) Miami is the capital of Florida. -> proposition. Truth value F?

13. Determine if these bi-conditionals are true or false

a) If 1+1=2, then 2+2=5.

b) If 1+1=3, then 2+2=4.

c) If 1+1=3, then 2+2=5

d) If monkeys can fly, then 1+1=3

Those are all FALSE, right??

Thanks!

1a) True
1b) False

For an implication (such as 13 a, b, c, and d), the only situation it is false is when the first statement--the hypothesis--is true and the conclusion--the second statement--is false, so 13a is false.

Thanks! Makes sense.

XodoX said:
Thanks! Makes sense.
So, what do you think the truth value is for each of: 13b, 13c, 13d ?

False.

XodoX said:
Thanks! Makes sense.

XodoX said:
False.
Read what I said again, because you're not getting it. For an implication p [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] q (also written as if p then q), where p and q are statements, the only possible way for p [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] q to be false is when p is true and q is false.

1. Why isn't my bi-conditional template working?

There could be several reasons why your bi-conditional template is not working. Some common causes include: syntax errors, missing or incorrect arguments, or conflicting code within the template itself. It is important to carefully review your template code and check for any potential errors.

2. How can I debug my bi-conditional template?

One way to debug your bi-conditional template is to use a debugger tool, which allows you to step through your code and identify any potential issues. You can also try printing out specific values or using conditional statements to narrow down where the problem may be occurring.

3. What should I do if my bi-conditional template is not returning the expected results?

If your bi-conditional template is not returning the expected results, first make sure that all the necessary conditions are being met. Check for any typos or missing elements in your code. You may also need to review the logic of your conditions and adjust them accordingly.

4. Can I use multiple bi-conditionals in one template?

Yes, you can use multiple bi-conditionals in one template. However, it is important to make sure that your conditions do not conflict with each other and that they are properly nested. You may also want to consider using other conditional structures, such as if/else statements, to avoid potential conflicts.

5. How can I make my bi-conditional template more efficient?

To make your bi-conditional template more efficient, you can try simplifying your conditions and using logical operators (such as && and ||) to combine multiple conditions. You can also consider breaking up your template into smaller, more specific templates to reduce the amount of code and improve readability.