Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

London: Is there another bombing?

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here media is confusing. They say two underground stations have been evacuated because of a bombing. They mentioned also about some bus. Is everything allright over there????
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2

Gold Member

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3
    4 sort of "mini-explosions" is what they're saying. At one station (Warren Street I think), the people were saying someone left a rucksack and then ran away from the scene. Edit: one person injured, but there weren't any details of what/when/how the injury happened.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  5. Jul 21, 2005 #4
    The explosions sound like detonators going of to me so perhaps they messed up the creation process?
  6. Jul 21, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not clear to me whether these explosions were dummy bombs, real bombs which failed to go off properly, or controlled detonations of suspect packages.

The BTP have confirmed that no trace of chemical agents has been detected.
  7. Jul 21, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And an arrest has been made. This could be interesting.
  8. Jul 21, 2005 #7

Staff: Mentor

Tube evacuations: At-a-glance

Emergency services have been called to three London Underground stations amid reports of "incidents". The BBC News website is covering events as they unfold (all times in BST):

Man arrested by armed police near the gates of Downing Street.

Shepherd's Bush, Oval, Hackney Road (bus) affected in addition to Warren street.
    see map at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm
  9. Jul 21, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only injury so far reported is of one of the bombers who was still carrying the backpack containing whatever it was that went off when it went off. The best guess being presented by the media is that it was detonators that went off, but until they can inspect the packages, they don't know if it was a faulty explosive or only detonators or some sort of homemade device that simply didn't pack much explosive. Since they caught the one person involved, hopefully they will get better answers quickly. They still didn't know if this was meant to be bigger and got botched or if it was a copy cat thing that just was never intended to be as large of scale as the bombings two weeks ago.
  10. Jul 21, 2005 #9
    What a shame, I'm glad they caught one of them. They should use any means possible to get more information from him.
    In the past several months they have installed cameras, just about everywhere in Detroit. I for one am glad they did. Londons system has been such a big help to them.
  11. Jul 21, 2005 #10

nooo ! those are not bombs, london subway is falling apart - chain reaction.
  12. Jul 21, 2005 #11

Gold Member

I think these were a bunch of trouble makers. I doubt any serious group would be so foolish or have their workers "run away" from the scene.
  13. Jul 21, 2005 #12

Gold Member

I'll admit, my first thoughts when I heard the reports were that it could be troublemakers with fireworks or something of the kind, but later news reports suggested that all four were carrying significantly more explosives, but the detonators went off failing to trigger the rest of the explosives. The men were probably not expecting to live through the experience, and panicked when their explosives didn't go off.
  14. Jul 21, 2005 #13

Gold Member

The people arrested were released as they were not involved in the incident.

15. Jul 22, 2005 #14
    Any more word on the man they shot< was he wearing a bomb?
  16. Jul 22, 2005 #15
    I haven't heard yet but there is one thing that is significant. One of the things I mentioned in the thread regarding the last bombings is that they've cleared the STK policy for police and special forces.

This is from page 14 of the other thread:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  17. Jul 22, 2005 #16
    Here's the newest BBC story on the dead guy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm - Doesn't confirm anything about a bomb, but some eyewithneses said (on BBC world) he was shot five times, which sound pretty much.
  18. Jul 22, 2005 #17
    Its so rare to hear of UK police shooting someone. I'm sure they did what they felt they must.
  19. Jul 25, 2005 #18
    If the suspected terrorist is thought to have an explosive device on his (or a remote control detonator) then they have to make sure that they cannot be activated. I believe this was an important lesson learnt during the IRA campaign. Bottom line is shot until the target no longer poses a threat.
  20. Jul 25, 2005 #19
    Actually, he was completely innocent. And a rather flimsy excuse for why they thought he deserved 5 bullets in his head.
    Disscussion and lots of links here
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?