Researching PhD Programs: guides & info

• Schools
  • Thread starter HJ Farnsworth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's decision to pursue a PhD in physics and their struggles in finding consistent and easily accessible information about different schools' PhD programs. They ask for recommendations for a website that can provide information on average GPAs and GRE scores of accepted students, expected applicant characteristics, school size and statistics, and fields of research available for PhD candidates. The response suggests using gradschoolshopper.com, which is run by the American Institute of Physics and provides basic information.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

This should be a quick one, and I would bet that similar threads have been posted several times before.

I decided recently to go for a PhD in physics, so I took the physics and regular GRE, etc.

I've been visiting a few school websites, and there's really no consistent format to how they present what they offer and what they're looking for. Also, a lot of the websites, including those for well-known and respected schools, are terribly put together and hard to navigate.

Does anyone know of some sites where you can simply type in a school and get information on...

1. Average GPAs, GRE scores, etc. of accepted PhD program students.
2. Other characteristics expected of applicants (eg., how much research they have done).
3. Size of school and other standard statistics (public or private, etc.)
4. What fields of research the school is known for, and what focuses are available for PhD candidates.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of researching PhD programs?

Researching PhD programs allows you to gather information about the various programs available in your field of study, their requirements, and the resources they offer. This information can help you make an informed decision about which program is the best fit for your academic and career goals.

2. What factors should I consider when researching PhD programs?

Some important factors to consider when researching PhD programs include the program's reputation, faculty and research opportunities, funding options, location, and program requirements. You should also consider whether the program aligns with your research interests and career goals.

3. Where can I find information about PhD programs?

There are various sources where you can find information about PhD programs. These include university websites, online databases, academic forums, and professional organizations. You can also reach out to current PhD students or faculty members for their insights and experiences.

4. How can I narrow down my options when researching PhD programs?

One way to narrow down your options is to prioritize the factors that are most important to you in a PhD program. This could include location, funding, research opportunities, or program requirements. You can also create a list of pros and cons for each program to help you make a decision.

5. What should I look for when comparing PhD programs?

When comparing PhD programs, it is important to consider factors such as program length, curriculum, research opportunities, funding options, and potential career outcomes. You should also look at the program's accreditation and the success rates of its graduates in securing jobs or postdoctoral positions in their field.