Looking for a compressed air formula

In summary, the formula for the volume of a cylinder is needed to calculate the distance a 25-pound weight would drop in a 100 ft tall cylinder with dimensions of 2 ft width and length at both the top and bottom. The weight is dropped from the top, and assuming no air is lost, the experiment is done at sea level. The final pressure in the cylinder can be calculated using the formula pv = PV, where the final pressure is equal to the starting pressure (14.7 psi) plus the weight (25 lbs). The final volume can be calculated by dividing the product of pressure and volume by the final pressure. A more accurate formula (p * v)^gamma can also be used.
VA80232
I know what the formula for the Volume of a cylinder is. If I had say a 25lbs weight and dropped it from the top into the cylinder and lost no air , where would it stop(in inches from the bottom of the cylinder)? Not carrying about temp of the air or moisture. Is their a some what simple formula? I tried to find one on the internet. I would settle for the simplest formula even if it is difficult. Thank you for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the area of the piston in square inches. If the area is 1 square inch and the tube is 10 inches from the piston bottom to the bottom of the tube and the experiment is done at sea level the starting pressure is 14.7 psi (p) and the starting volume (v) is 10 cubic inches at the end the pressure in the cylinder is 14.7 + 25 or 39.7 psi. so the final volume (V) is given by pv = PV with the final pressure = (P).

new volume = pv/P = 14.7 * 10 / 39.7 psi = 3.70 cubic inches or 3.7 inches high.

There is a more accurate formuli which is ( p * v ) rased to the gamma = (P * V ) rased tohe gamma.

I see I left to much in question or maybe I can use that same formula?

I am requesting a formula for:

If I had a 100 ft tall cylinder. 2ft wide and 2ft long at the top and bottom equally. A square cylinder. I dropped a 25 pound weight from the top and it free fell loosing no air, at sea level.

How far would it drop towards the bottom before it stopped and held its own weight and how many pounds pressure would the compressed air be left in the cylinder?

1. What is a compressed air formula?

A compressed air formula is a mathematical equation that is used to determine the properties and behavior of compressed air, such as pressure, temperature, and volume.

2. Why is a compressed air formula important?

A compressed air formula is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict and control the behavior of compressed air in various applications, such as in pneumatic systems, industrial processes, and air compressors.

3. How is a compressed air formula calculated?

A compressed air formula is typically calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are directly related. Other factors, such as the gas type and compressibility, may also be taken into account in more complex formulas.

4. Are there different formulas for different types of compressed air?

Yes, there are different formulas for different types of compressed air, as the properties and behavior of compressed air can vary depending on factors such as the gas type, pressure, and temperature. For example, the formula for calculating the pressure of dry air may be different from the formula for calculating the pressure of a gas mixture.

5. Can a compressed air formula be used for other gases?

While some compressed air formulas may also be applicable to other gases, it is important to note that the properties and behavior of each gas may differ and therefore require different formulas. It is best to consult a specific formula or consult with a scientist or engineer for accurate calculations for a particular gas.