Looking for a name for a natural phenomenon

In summary, the conversation explored the existence of cyclical phenomena in nature that follow a similar pattern of slow buildup and sudden discharge, such as farting, yawning, earthquakes, capacitor charging and discharge, and Monjolo. The initial question was whether there is a specific name for such phenomena, which led to a discussion on the terms "periodic" and "sporadic." Eventually, the conclusion was that these phenomena can be divided into categories of random, deterministic, and chaotic. The conversation also delved into the idea that there may be other properties that contribute to the different types and categories of these phenomena. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity and variety of cyclical processes in nature.
Frenemy90210 said:
Not a scientific name. Just a general name that describes that pattern.

From the dictionary (if possible)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Samsonov said:
Naturally occurring sporadic casual discharges - even better?

That's it then?

Likes Stavros Kiri
Ivan Samsonov said:
That's it then?

I guess that's it. (Except "Causal" instead of "Casual" ;) ).

Thanks.

Likes Stavros Kiri and ISamson
Frenemy90210 said:
I guess that's it. (Except "Causal" instead of "Casual" ;) ).

Thanks.
It was spelled correctly the first time.

Likes ISamson
Stavros Kiri said:
It was spelled correctly the first time.

Yes, it was.

A. 'Casual' is a different thing (other than being a typo). Causal means 'it has causes', it obeys Causality (or the principle of causality), or [obeys] the laws of nature, or ~ it is "naturally occurring", as successfully added by you guys. But since typically and rigorously 'causal' and 'naturally occurring' is not exactly the same thing, I like the full title (name, term) as modulated by the discussion:
Stavros Kiri said:
Or "Sporadic Causal Discharges" is a broader or better one?
Ivan Samsonov said:
Naturally Occurring Sporadic Causal Discharges - even better?
But are they truly random?
Stavros Kiri said:
I think they can be divided into categories: random, deterministic or chaotic ...
or more, perhaps + combinations etc.
For these 3 terms etc. see my next post.

B. But here is another idea, based on
Frenemy90210 said:
What I was looking for is a process in which "slow accumulation of something over a period of time then sudden release of it and the process repeats".
Not all sporadic events have a gradual buildup of the causal elements that lead to outbreak.
How about "Causaly and Naturally repeated Sporadic Build-ups & Discharges" ?
(or all phenomena that have those properties)
But it's probably too long of a name. It describes it better and more accurate though than the previous one, doesn't it? Unless we find a shorter or more concise one ... , or suffice with the previous conclusion ... etc.; or anyone else more input, ideas or suggestions? ...

Criticality , breakdown and system state bifurcation ?

Likes Stavros Kiri
Nidum said:
Criticality , breakdown and system state bifurcation ?
Or 'system saturation and discharges' ... (?)

Frenemy90210 said:
Edit : Also note that phenomena does not apply to just energy, but also socialogical issues such as sectarian wars between two groups/. ex. Immediately after a war/riot, it is all peace. Then tensions start slowly building up and after some period, there is war once again; and the cycle continues.
Not necessarily, so your example of a sociological phenomenon doesn't fit the category you're trying to find a name for. Note that phenomenon is the singular form; phenomena is the plural form.
For example, in Europe, starting in the 16th Century there were wars between the Catholics and the newly-formed Protestant offshoot. These wars erupted periodically for several centuries, but then died out.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
For example, in Europe, starting in the 16th Century there were wars between the Catholics and the newly-formed Protestant offshoot. These wars erupted periodically for several centuries, but then died out.
IMO, the repetitive cycle doesn't have to go forever. Even a few sporadic ones (cycles) should/could be in the category, I think.
As I said there would be different types and categories of the phenomenon (by the way, typo in your first spelling of 'phenomenon' - can fix). E.g. infinite cycled, finite, damping etc.
(besides random, deterministic or chaotic already mentioned ...)

(Also, e.g. a kettle once off the hook, or fire lowered would eventually stop ...)

Doesn't this phenomenon generally fall under the science of chaos?

A dripping tap is a common example of an aperiodic, chaotic event.
Predator/prey population ratios is another example.
The output of the last iteration is a factor in the subsequent iteration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

chaos-img6.gif

Attachments

• chaos-img6.gif
    chaos-img6.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 549
DaveC426913 said:
Doesn't this phenomenon generally fall under the science of chaos?
Not always (read the thread)

Why isn't "cycle" good enough?

russ_watters said:
Why isn't "cycle" good enough?
He needs an outburst etc. (or better a build up and an outburst ... etc., repeating sporadically, for any reason)
(e.g. see posts #41 & 43)

Last edited: