Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a PC app to provide an audio sample's frequency spectrumAND phase info

1. Mar 24, 2006 #1
    Can anyone recommend an application for PC that can take an audio recording, perform a fourier transform, and return the audio recordings' frequency spectrum AND phase information?

I can find plenty of programs that return the frequency spectrum, but I've had no luck finding one that returns info about the phase of the sinusoidal components. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use software like MATLAB to compute the complex FFT. Most people aren't concerned about the phase information, since the ear can't distinguish phase, so most programs plot the magnitude of the complex FFT.

- Warren

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot for the info.

I've been learning to use matlab for the past couple days in order to get the phase information, and I have to say that it's like using a chainsaw to cut a twig... which wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that with increasing power of an application such as matlab, comes an increasing learning curve. I'm really pulling my hair out... I understand that matlab is very versatile and powerful and therefore complicated to use, but I know that the phase information is not too computationally difficult to obtain. Can anyone recommend any simpler program that I can use to compute a FFT of an audio file, and provide phase information?

To be more specific: In the digital audio workstation software that I use, I can simply select an audio file, select the option "Spectrum analyzer", and a spectrum will appear. I can then move my mouse pointer over the spectrum, and an icon will trace the amplitude of the signal at the frequency position that my mouse is at. The amplitude at the current mouse position is displayed numerically above the graph.

For my purposes, the simplicity and ease of use of this analyzer is ideal.. if only it would display the phase values AND the amplitude values. Does anyone know of an application that can do it like this, or with similar ease of use?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, the basic 'fft' command in MATLAB returns the complex FFT, which contains the phase information.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?