Looking for a textbook for Advanced Limits

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a calculus book that covers limit theory and provides numerous examples. Several recommendations are given, including the openstax calculus book, Spivak's "Calculus" book, and Demidovich's collection of exercises. The conversation also mentions searching online for "problems in mathematical analysis" and using L'Hopital's rule and logarithms for solving limit problems.
askor
As I can't find it in my basic calculus book, can someone please tell me what book that taught a limit theory and problem like these?

Thank you

Attachments

• limits.PNG
    limits.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 176
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that the openstax calculus book cover all of the limit examples I posted in post #1?

I need a calculus book that contain many, many examples of limit problem I posted in post #1.

Spivak's book "Calculus" is what you are looking for.

Math_QED said:
Spivak's book "Calculus" is what you are looking for.
I don't think so. Mine is full of exercises, many with solutions, and not only limits but e.g. integrals, too. Spivak is in the end just another book about calculus.

fresh_42 said:
I don't think so. Mine is full of exercises, many with solutions, and not only limits but e.g. integrals, too. Spivak is in the end just another book about calculus.

Spivak has many exercises solved in details while developing the theory, also many exercises from very easy to very difficult in the exercise section, and the exercises also have a solution manual. I don't understand your objection.

No objection, Spivak is a good reference. I think the OP is looking for a collection of exercises rather than an ordinary textbook. Demidovich is such a collection. Of course we cannot know for sure what he is looking for, especially as there is no such book which only covers limits of all kind. He has ##\lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{x-1}{\sin(\pi x)}## as an example. I thought: what about ##x\to 0, x\to 1/2## and similar with every example?

Here is another collection:
http://etananyag.ttk.elte.hu/FiLeS/downloads/4b_FeherKosToth_MathAnExII.pdf

Last edited:
I think mostly intro calculus books will have limit problems like that- Stewart's book is pretty widely used. @fresh_42 points out that L'Hospital is useful for some of these problems. For the limits with functions as exponents, taking logarithms (and then using L'Hopital if necessary) is another useful trick.

1. What is the best textbook for learning about advanced limits?

The best textbook for learning about advanced limits will vary depending on your specific needs and learning style. However, some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams.

2. What topics should be covered in a textbook on advanced limits?

A textbook on advanced limits should cover topics such as limits at infinity, L'Hopital's rule, indeterminate forms, continuity, and differentiability. It should also include examples and practice problems to help solidify understanding of these concepts.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a textbook on advanced limits?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a textbook on advanced limits. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer video lessons, practice problems, and other helpful materials.

4. How can I determine if a textbook on advanced limits is suitable for my level of understanding?

You can determine if a textbook on advanced limits is suitable for your level of understanding by checking the table of contents and reading reviews from other students or educators. You can also preview the textbook online or look for sample chapters to get a sense of the level of difficulty.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in basic calculus before studying advanced limits?

Yes, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus before studying advanced limits. This includes understanding concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integration. Without a strong foundation, it may be difficult to fully grasp the more complex concepts in advanced limits.