Looking for an in depth book on special relativity

In summary: But for anyone else curious, to start a new thread, go to the main page of the forum you want to post in (such as Physics), and click on the "Post New Thread" button on the top right corner. You may have to scroll up to see it. Make sure you read the forum rules before posting. Good luck! In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on special relativity for beginners that is also in-depth. The book "Spacetime Physics: Introduction to Special Relativity" is mentioned as a potential option, but the reviewer is unsure if it goes into enough detail. Other books, such as "The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime" and "Special Relativity
johnathon
I have very little background in special relativity (near to nothing, just what I've found on wikipedia). I've been looking for a book on special relativity that's for beginners but is also very in-depth covering every aspect of special relativity. I liked the look of "Spacetime Physics: Introduction to Special Relativity" but I'm not saw if it goes into as much depth as I'd like (by the looks of the reviews). How much detail does that book go into?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the book by Taylor and Wheeler, right? I have a red paperback first edition that has all the solutions in the back. It will give you a strong foundation to built on. But as you suspected it doesn't go into much depth. It introduces only two 4-vectors: the position-time and momentum-energy 4-vectors. No field theories or optics. Still, I think it's the best one our there for beginners.

Rindler may be good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198567324/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For the mathematical detail, I find Naber great. It has the derivation of the Lorentz transformations from a causality assumption from the paper "Causality Implies the Lorentz Group" by Zeeman as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441931023/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Szekeres also has a chapter (~20 pages) devoted to the mathematics of SR.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521829607/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Truecrimson said:
That is the book by Taylor and Wheeler, right? I have a red paperback first edition that has all the solutions in the back. It will give you a strong foundation to built on. But as you suspected it doesn't go into much depth. It introduces only two 4-vectors: the position-time and momentum-energy 4-vectors. No field theories or optics. Still, I think it's the best one our there for beginners.

Rindler may be good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198567324/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For the mathematical detail, I find Naber great. It has the derivation of the Lorentz transformations from a causality assumption from the paper "Causality Implies the Lorentz Group" by Zeeman as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441931023/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Szekeres also has a chapter (~20 pages) devoted to the mathematics of SR.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521829607/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I like the look of "The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime" but it looks like it starts a bit heavy. Would you recommend getting the Spacetime physics book as a starter before?

Naber's The Geometry of Spacetime is too abstruse for me to recommend for anyone. Even for one mathematically minded and well versed in special relativity.

If you are looking for a nice in-depth (but somewhat overly concise) text, I strongly suggest Woodhouse's Special Relativity. If you have knowledge on electrodynamics, I suggest you read the original papers on special relativity. That is, On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies by Einstein and On the Dynamics of the Electron by Poincare (English translations are freely available over the internet). Pauli's Theory of Relativity is also very insightful. Also consider Reflections on Relativity which provides amazing philosophical and historical insight.

johnathon said:
I like the look of "The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime" but it looks like it starts a bit heavy. Would you recommend getting the Spacetime physics book as a starter before?

Yes, The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime is heavy. In fact, you may not need it at all. I said that it's for the mathematical details. And yes, I think Spacetime Physics is the best starter. The only concern is whether you want to buy something that will not last long as a reference. (I bought mine for $10 so it wasn't a problem.)

Also please look into Snicker's recommendations. I have never read Woodhouse's Special Relativity but I like his analytical mechanics book a lot.

Now that Lieber's "The Einstein Theory of Relativity" is back in print it's worth taking a look at for an introduction to both special and general relativity at an introductory mathematical level.

Try to read the first 46 pages of Landau/Lifshitz 'The Classical Theory of Fields' before reading anything else, I wish I had.
Maybe read it concurrently with Susskind's SR lectures:
As for an SR text emphasizing the geometric viewpoint in Susskind's lectures, well The Geometry of Spacetime is the best thing I could find.
The most mathematical book I found is Naber's Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime.
As for a problems book: Special Relativity: An Introduction with 200 Problems and Solutions
Mix all this with Spacetime Physics & I'd think you'd be getting enough of a varied viewpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

I apologize if I am hijacking this post. I am new to Physics Forums, and I do not know how to start a new thread to ask my question. I was hoping to ask a few questions related to the above questions - special relativity, general relativity, etc.

I am currently a twelve-year old, and I am interested in learning about Relativity. I have heard that there are two main fields relativity is divided into - special relativity, and general relativity. Although some people have said that general relativity is considerably harder than special relativity, I am not sure if I even have the knowledge required to understand either fields in the first place.

I have taken a Calculus I/II course and a rather limited AP level Physics course. I have an excellent Physics teacher to help me. Would this level of knowledge in mathematics and Physics be enough to get me started on Special relativity? My goal for Physics is to learn all the math and Physics necessary needed for learning Quantum Physics/accelerator Physics by the time I am fourteen.

Once again, I apologize for rudely interrupting this thread. (It would be very helpful if you gave me some tips on how to start a new thread.) Please excuse me if I am making unplausible or ignorant claims, as I am not familiar with Modern Physics.

Thank You.

(It would be very helpful if you gave me some tips on how to start a new thread.)

I answered this question in response to your other post, in the relativity forum.

Last edited:
I have taken a Calculus I/II course and a rather limited AP level Physics course. I have an excellent Physics teacher to help me. Would this level of knowledge in mathematics and Physics be enough to get me started on Special relativity? My goal for Physics is to learn all the math and Physics necessary needed for learning Quantum Physics/accelerator Physics by the time I am fourteen.

You might want to check out the recent book [URL="https://www.amazon.com/dp/1461407052/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Theory: A Rigorous Introduction for the Mathematically Untrained
[/I][/URL].

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. Why is special relativity important?

Special relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is a fundamental part of modern physics. It also led to the famous equation E=mc², which explains the relationship between mass and energy.

3. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including GPS navigation, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. Without taking into account the effects of special relativity, these technologies would not work as accurately or efficiently as they currently do.

4. Is there a specific book that provides an in-depth understanding of special relativity?

Yes, there are many books that offer an in-depth look at special relativity. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler, "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll, and "Special Relativity: A First Encounter" by Domenico Giulini.

5. Do I need a background in physics to understand a book on special relativity?

While having a basic understanding of physics can be helpful, most books on special relativity are written in a way that is accessible to non-experts. They often include explanations of key concepts and equations, making them suitable for anyone with a strong interest in the subject.