1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Callahan's "The Geometry of Spacetime"

1. Jul 13, 2016 #1
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows about the the book
    "
    The Geometry of Spacetime: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity" by Callahan
    and what their opinions are.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2
    I have the book and I read through the first few chapters. I actually enjoyed the book and read it more than Carroll or Hartle's book on general relativity. I think in the beginning it is more mathematical, and I am surprised I liked it for this reason, because I generally like a gentle introduction to mathematics needed for general relativity. I do think Callahan's treatment is a bit different from the more standard treatments by Carroll or Hartle, and if I were to prepare for a general relativity course at a university, I would probably play it safe and use Caroll or Hartle. Learning general relativity on my own without well defined goals (i.e. tests) led me to enjoy Callahan's book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted