Looking for small 110V to 220V transformer.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary: Thanks for the quick reply, what is image search? I am not good with computers!An image search is a search for images on the internet.
yungman
Believe it or not, I have problem finding a small 110V to 220V isolation transformer! No matter how I typed in the search, I get solid state converters. This is true on ebay and Amazon and Digikey! What happened? It used to be so common and cheap to buy a small isolation transformer, it's everywhere. Anyone has suggestion? I just want about 5 to 15VA ones, leaded. I could swear 20 years ago, you go to Tamura or EWC etc, you'll find them just like that!

To be specific, I mean real transformer with iron core and primary and secondary winding! I can't even take for granted here!:biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Believe it or not, I have problem finding a small 110V to 220V isolation transformer! No matter how I typed in the search, I get solid state converters. This is true on ebay and Amazon and Digikey! What happened? It used to be so common and cheap to buy a small isolation transformer, it's everywhere. Anyone has suggestion? I just want about 5 to 15VA ones, leaded. I could swear 20 years ago, you go to Tamura or EWC etc, you'll find them just like that!

To be specific, I mean real transformer with iron core and primary and secondary winding! I can't even take for granted here!:biggrin:

I often use a Google Images search, to help me get to the good hits quicker. I used Google Images and a quoted search on "isolation transformer", and this is one of the pics at the top of the first page -- from Stancor:

http://theelectrostore.com/shopsite...250-gisd-250-isolation-transformer-250VA.html

Is that what you are looking for?

Although that one has cords on it instead of leads...

Here's one with leads -- you could just use the isolation transformer part, and not the follow-on transformer part:

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=96

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply, what is image search? I am not good with computers!

I am really looking for small 10VA stuffs. I did see some with cord, the 100VA+ stuff.

To do a Google Images search, go to Google.com and look for the "Images" link near the top of the page.

Ah, sorry, you only want 10VA. I'd still start with the Google Images search to see if you see something small there...

berkeman said:
To do a Google Images search, go to Google.com and look for the "Images" link near the top of the page.

Ah, sorry, you only want 10VA. I'd still start with the Google Images search to see if you see something small there...

Thanks, I'll try that.

1. What is a transformer and what does it do?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to convert electrical energy from one voltage level to another. It is used in various electrical systems to step up or step down the voltage, depending on the requirements of the system.

2. Why do I need a small 110V to 220V transformer?

You need a small 110V to 220V transformer if you have electronic devices or appliances that are designed to work on 220V but you only have access to 110V power outlets. The transformer will step up the voltage from 110V to 220V, allowing your devices to function properly.

3. How do I know which type of transformer to get?

The type of transformer you need depends on the voltage input and output requirements of your devices. Make sure to check the voltage rating of your devices and choose a transformer that can handle that voltage conversion. You may also need to consider the power rating and the size of the transformer for your specific needs.

4. Can I use a transformer for multiple devices at once?

It is possible to use a transformer for multiple devices at once, as long as the total power consumption of the devices does not exceed the power rating of the transformer. It is recommended to check the power ratings of both the transformer and the devices to ensure safe and proper use.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a transformer?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a transformer. Make sure to always use the transformer in a well-ventilated area, as it may produce heat during operation. Do not overload the transformer with more devices than it can handle. It is also important to regularly check the transformer for any damages or signs of wear and tear. If you notice any issues, it is best to replace the transformer to avoid any potential hazards.