Looking for some sort of 'cable quick release'

In summary, according to OldEngr, a cable quick release is a device used to quickly release a cable with a load of around 3,500 pounds. They suggest locating your nearest rigging company or looking for information on the show "MythBusters," where a device similar to what they are looking for was used. They also found a similar device online for sailing. If you are looking for a device that can be reused, this might not be the best option, but if you only need it to release the load support while maintaining partial engagement, this might be a good option.
ehilge
I'm working on a design project and I need to find what I would call a 'cable quick release'. Basically, I need to be able to quickly release a cable that has ~3500 pounds of tension in it. Ideally, one would just use a pin you could pull out, but I'm fairly certain that would be difficult if not impossible. I've searched around google for such a device but have come up empty handed. Any ideas where I could find one or even what to call it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,

I am sorry to say I cannot direct you exactly to what you are looking for. However, I would suggest you locate your nearest Crane or Rigging company and inquire about this.

Or, I recall seeing such a device used on the show "MythBusters" when they want to drop a heavy suspended object (such as a vehicle, or weights). I would try researching this route.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. Good luck in your search.

You could help to narrow the search if you would specify whether the connection needs to be reusable or not (can we simply cut the cable?), does it have to fully disconnect or does it simply need to release the load support while maintaining partial engagement (full separation is perhaps more difficult than simply dropping support for the load).

In short, spell out more fully what you want to accomplish with this disconnect and it may become more evident how to accomplish it.

VictoryMike: Thanks for the suggestion. Funny you bring up mythbusters since I was just thinking about that, what they have is exactly what I need.

OldEngr: Ideally it would need to be reusable, we definitely wouldn't be able to just cut the cable. I would be ok if part of the release was destroyed and then that part was easily replaced i.e. something similar to an explosive bolt, but not explosive. If I understand the second part of your question right, it would need to fully disconnect. I want all of the load off the cable instantaneously.

The application for this is for a catapult that's designed to launch a 3 kg projectile 50 meters. The energy must be stored in a spring. Turns out you need quite a bit of energy and some rather large springs, roughly 3,500 pounds worth. Anyway, we need to be able to compress the springs and then release them quickly. We plan on using a winch/ratchet with a cable/strap to compress the springs, but we haven't found a way to separate the springs from the tether yet. Thus why I'm posting this now. If you desire any more details, let me know.

Also, I found this: http://www.wichard.com/rubrique-Quick_release_snap_shackles-0202040300000000-ME.html
Its made for some sailing application, and it looks like you just pull the string and the shackle releases. But can you tell if it would release under load?

I am not confident that this will trigger a 3500 lb load, but here are plans I found for a trebuchet trigger, it could serve as a nice starting point.
here

I actually found that trebuchet trigger before. That is along the line of what I need, but I would prefer to be able to use a commercially available item. If I design something myself, I would need to do a complete stress analysis on every component of it which is more work than I need right now.

You might have to, it's not generally advisable to drop loads (suspended or with otherwise stored energy) quickly and uncontrolled. For times when it is, the parts are usually application specific. I'm not saying you will not find something that works, but I can't imagine it will be easy.

If it comes down to it, over-engineer it.

If you're still looking for ideas, I know load wise you are still on your own but these exist.

http://www.perfski.com/Waterskis/Trick-Skis/Masterline-Robbins-Trick-Release.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a cable quick release and how does it work?

A cable quick release is a device used to disconnect a cable or wire quickly and easily. It typically consists of two parts - a male and a female connector - that can be easily joined and separated. The male connector is attached to the end of the cable and the female connector is attached to the device or equipment. When the two connectors are joined, they create a secure connection for the cable to transmit signals or power. To release the cable, you simply press a button or lever on the connector, separating the two parts and disconnecting the cable.

2. What are the benefits of using a cable quick release?

Cable quick releases offer several benefits, including convenience, time-saving, and versatility. They allow for quick and easy disconnection of cables without the need for tools or complicated processes. This is especially useful for frequently connected and disconnected cables. Additionally, cable quick releases are durable and can withstand multiple connections and disconnections without wearing out. They also come in a variety of sizes and styles, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

3. How do I choose the right cable quick release for my needs?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a cable quick release is the compatibility with your cable and equipment. Make sure to check the specifications and dimensions of the connectors to ensure they will fit together. You should also consider the type of connection you need, such as a push-pull or twist-lock mechanism. Additionally, consider the environment in which the cable quick release will be used and choose a durable and weather-resistant option if necessary.

4. Can I use a cable quick release with any type of cable?

While cable quick releases are versatile and can be used with a variety of cables, it is important to check for compatibility before use. Some cable quick releases are designed for specific types of cables, such as audio or power cables, and may not work with other types. Additionally, make sure the connectors can support the gauge and weight of your cable for a secure connection.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a cable quick release?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a cable quick release. Make sure to disconnect the power source before attempting to disconnect the cable. Also, avoid pulling on the cable when disconnecting, as this can damage the connectors. Finally, regularly check the connectors for any signs of wear or damage and replace them if necessary to ensure safe and reliable use.