Looking for the limit if it exists

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the individual was trying to sum a sequence, and was having a lot of trouble figuring out what to do. They wrote down the terms of the sequence and the sum, but could not find a pattern. After some research, they found that if they used partial fraction decomposition to split of the initial fraction, they were able to solve the problem.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

[tex] \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{2}{n^2-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what it is about this, maybe just because its late, but I can't figure this out. Can someone please help. Just looking for the limit if it exists. I have tried to figure it out; just not sure what to do. I wrote down the the terms of the sequence and the sum, but I can't see a pattern.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Note that: [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2}= \frac{ \pi ^2}{6} [/tex]

Note the identity [tex] \cot x = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x+n \pi} = \frac{1}{x} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2x}{x^2 - n^2 \pi^2}[/tex], which can be proved by differentiating ln(sin(x)) using the infinite product form of sin(x).

Then, using coth(x) = i cot(ix) we get [tex] \coth x = \frac{1}{x} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2x}{x^2 + n^2 \pi^2}[/tex], which may be useful for your problem.

Last edited:

Oops.. you can use the integral test if you just want to check its convergence.

Last edited:

Thanks I figured this out today though, and just for completeness I will post the way I solved it.

If you use partial fraction decomposition to split of the initial fraction it becomes a telescoping series.

[tex]\frac{2}{n^2-1} = \frac{2}{(n+1)(n-1)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{(n+1)(n-1)} = \frac{A}{n+1} + \frac{B}{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]2 = A(n-1) + B(n+1)[/tex]

Solve that for A and B and you get A = -1, B=1.

So the original sum becomes:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n-1} - \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

if you write plug in some terms and write out the series you will get:

[tex]S_{n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} -\frac{1}{n} -\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x -> \infty} S_{n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} = 3/2[/tex]

Sheneron said:
Thanks I figured this out today though, and just for

if you write plug in some terms and write out the series you will get:

[tex]S_{n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} -\frac{1}{n} -\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x -> \infty} S_{n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} = 3/2[/tex]
Really?

I thought of something like:

Sn= 1-1/2+1/2-1/3 +1/3-1/4 +1/4-1/5+...=1

\\edit: your sum in the first post is different than in the fifth!

Except that's not the telescoping sum that he found. So you would get

1 - 1/3 + 1/2 - 1/4 + 1/3 - 1/5 + 1/4 - 1/6

Confusion abounds however, is the series in the original post not the one you were trying to sum?

Office_Shredder said:
Except that's not the telescoping sum that he found. So you would get

1 - 1/3 + 1/2 - 1/4 + 1/3 - 1/5 + 1/4 - 1/6
Yes, you're right I didn't read well enough!

Oh yeah sorry, in the very first post it should be a minus sign. Boy I guess that really makes a big difference.

FAQ: Looking for the limit if it exists

1. What is the concept of "looking for the limit" in mathematics?

The concept of "looking for the limit" refers to the process of finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. This value is known as the limit and is denoted by the symbol "lim". It is an important concept in calculus and is used to understand the behavior of functions near certain input values.

2. How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function is calculated by evaluating the function at values approaching the desired input value. This process can be done algebraically, graphically, or using various limit laws and rules. The result of this calculation is the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the desired value.

3. Why is it important to find the limit of a function?

Knowing the limit of a function can help us understand the behavior of the function near a certain input value. It can also be used to determine if a function is continuous at a specific point, which is important in many real-world applications. Additionally, limits are fundamental to the study of calculus and are used to define important concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

4. Can the limit of a function always be found?

No, the limit of a function may not always exist. A function may have different limits from the left and right as the input approaches a specific value, or it may not approach any value at all. In some cases, the limit may be undefined or infinite. It is important to understand the conditions under which a limit exists for a given function.

5. How does finding the limit of a function relate to real-world applications?

Finding the limit of a function is essential in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to approximate the behavior of a system near a certain input value, which is crucial for making predictions and solving problems. For example, the concept of a limit is used in calculating instantaneous rates of change, which is important in determining the speed of a moving object or the growth rate of a population.