Looking for what I thought would be a simple Permeability Q

In summary: Ok, so if μ's units are [H/m] but on the graph μmax is like probably over a Tesla, they've taken liberties with its scale I assume.Ok so the actual working is:dB/dH = H.dμ(H)/dH + μ(H)*dH/dBbut we don't worry that μ is a function of H, but what happened to the dH/dB, why was that zero?Nothing happened to dH/dB, because it isn't there. That term is dH/dH
tim9000
Hi, I've been thinking about how to calculate a permeability curve, I thought this would be an easy to find online but unfortunately I haven't had any luck.
From what I can graphically see below:
perm.PNG

It appears to me that mu for a ferromagnetic material is proportional to the derivative of B vs H, but if this is true, and if so what the actual relation is I haven't been able to find.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
tim9000 said:
It appears to me that mu for a ferromagnetic material is proportional to the derivative of B vs H
That's an astute observation! The graph does indeed bear that resemblance.

Let's see ...

B and H are related in the usual way, viz., B=μH

Since μ changes with H, we can say μ is a function of H, writing this as μ(H). Accordingly, we can
write the equation more generally as B = μ(H).H

So, dB/dH = H.dμ/dH + μ

Now, on the right side if the first term were small in relation to the second (and you would need to look at typical values and graphs to see where this approximate could apply) you'd have your approximation

μ ≈ dB/dH http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Svein said:
Hi, I remember what a hysteresis curve is, but I don't see what it has to do with finding the mu of a steel.

NascentOxygen said:
That's an astute observation! The graph does indeed bear that resemblance.

Let's see ...

B and H are related in the usual way, viz., B=μH

Since μ changes with H, we can say μ is a function of H, writing this as μ(H). Accordingly, we can
write the equation more generally as B = μ(H).H

So, dB/dH = H.dμ/dH + μ

Now, on the right side if the first term were small in relation to the second (and you would need to look at typical values and graphs to see where this approximate could apply) you'd have your approximation

μ ≈ dB/dH http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've done multivariable calculus, I'm sure that was simple but could you tell me the working, did you use implicit or partial differentiation? Or just the old product or chain rule?

So since μ = dB/dH - H.dμ/dH
to calculate current μ you could just use a previous value of μ in H.dμ/dH, for a really close approximation. What units would dB/dH be in? Because B is in Teslas, I'm assuming it would be in too, as the graph indicates, but I notice it is H/m, does this mean the graph isn't scaled correctly?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
In that differentiation I used the derivative of a product rule.

dB/dH will have the same units as B/H.

NascentOxygen said:
In that differentiation I used the derivative of a product rule.

dB/dH will have the same units as B/H.

Ok so the actual working is:
dB/dH = H.dμ(H)/dH + μ(H)*dH/dB

but we don't worry that μ is a function of H, but what happened to the dH/dB, why was that zero?

Ok, so if μ's units are [H/m] but on the graph μmax is like probably over a Tesla, they've taken liberties with its scale I assume.

tim9000 said:
Ok so the actual working is:
dB/dH = H.dμ(H)/dH + μ(H)*dH/dB

but we don't worry that μ is a function of H, but what happened to the dH/dB, why was that zero?
Nothing happened to dH/dB, because it isn't there. That term is dH/dH

Going right back to the start ...

You have a graph of B vs H, so why can't you take values of B and divide by the corresponding H to obtain μ?

NascentOxygen said:
Going right back to the start ...

You have a graph of B vs H, so why can't you take values of B and divide by the corresponding H to obtain μ?
Yeah I suppose you're right, I was just thinking it was strange that μ is an inherent property of the material that causes be, yet we use B to find it. So I was thinking (not that I achieved it) that there was some expression for μ without B.
Though, how is that term dH/dH ?
I was thinking let u = μ, v = H
d(u.v)/dB = μ*dH/dB + H*dμ/dB

what am I doing wrong?
Thanks

d(u.v)/dH

NascentOxygen said:
d(u.v)/dH
OMG, what was I thinking. Thanks!

1. What is permeability?

Permeability is a measure of how easily a substance, such as a gas or liquid, can pass through another substance, such as a solid. It is often used to describe the ability of a material to allow fluids to flow through it.

2. How is permeability measured?

Permeability is typically measured in units of darcys or millidarcys. These units represent the rate at which a fluid can flow through a material under a given set of conditions.

3. What factors affect permeability?

Several factors can affect permeability, including the type of material, its porosity, and its grain size. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of fluid can also influence permeability.

4. Why is permeability important in scientific research?

Permeability is important in many fields of science, such as geology, hydrology, and materials science. It helps researchers understand how fluids move through different materials and can be used to predict the behavior of substances in various environments.

5. Can permeability be changed or controlled?

In some cases, permeability can be altered by changing the properties of the material, such as its grain size or porosity. However, in most cases, permeability is an inherent property of a material and cannot be easily changed or controlled.