1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop the Loop

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    Compared to an object that does not roll, but instead slides without friction, should a rolling object be released from the same,a greater, or a lesser height in order just barely to complete the loop the loop?

A The rolling object should be released from a greater height.
    B The rolling object should be released from a lesser height.
    C The rolling object should be released from exactly the same height.
    D The answer depends on the moment of inertia of the rolling object.

I think the answer depends on the moment of inertia of the rolling object cause if it had a large inertia, it would be harder for it to accelerate.

Could somebody just verify my answer?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

With conservation of energy principle, form the required equation.

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3
    I don't completely understand what you're trying to say :confused:

5. Oct 28, 2005 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

How much of it's original potential energy does each case use to do the loop? The one that uses less need more energy you start with.

6. Oct 28, 2005 #5

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

I think this message could easily be misunderstood. No energy is actually "used", the total energy remains constant, just the form changes.

To the original poster:
    Well... If the object isn't rolling, what must the release height be for it to loop the loop (in terms of the loop's radius, R)? The easiest way to solve this is with the conservation of energy principle.

Now, can you form the equation for a rolling object (it's slightly different, think rotational energy) and solve for h?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  7. Oct 28, 2005 #6

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Sorry for the poor phrasing. I meant that if the ball spins, less potential energy is turned into kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?