What are some recommended books for learning classical physics and astrophysics?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for recommendations for books on classical physics and astrophysics. They are seeking thorough and detailed explanations and are open to using multiple books simultaneously. The user "DrPhotonGoldstein" recommends "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein for advanced level classical mechanics, and suggests other undergraduate texts as well. They also ask for recommendations on other areas of physics such as electromagnetism, waves, thermodynamics, optics, and relativity. The conversation ends with a link to a forum where users have recommended various books on physics.
DrPhoton
Hey Forum ,
Ive been wanting to learn Classical Physics(calculus based) and Astrophysics, but have not crossed paths with a book which seems to satisfy my hunger for thorough and complete explanation.
What I ask of you folks is to Recommend a few books for Classical Physics , and Astrophysics(and Cosmology) which contains extremely detailed information and explanations. I don't mind a number of books which I can use simultaneously but please help me out.
DrPhoton

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldstein's Classical Mechanics is the classical graduate level / advanced undergraduate level text on classical mechanics. If that's too much, there are many undergraduate texts on classical mechanics, e.g., Classical Mechanics by Taylor and Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems by Marion and Thornton.

D H said:
Goldstein's Classical Mechanics is the classical graduate level / advanced undergraduate level text on classical mechanics. If that's too much, there are many undergraduate texts on classical mechanics, e.g., Classical Mechanics by Taylor and Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems by Marion and Thornton.

Could you also list some books on Other areas of Physics: EM ,Waves,Thermodynamics,Optics and Relativity? and Thankyou

Go here a lot of book is Recommended by users
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello DrPhoton,

I understand your desire for thorough and complete explanations in your pursuit of learning classical physics and astrophysics. I highly recommend seeking out textbooks and resources written by experts in the field, as they will provide the most detailed and accurate information.

For classical physics, I suggest looking into "University Physics" by Young and Freedman or "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor. These textbooks are widely used in university-level courses and provide comprehensive explanations of classical mechanics.

For astrophysics and cosmology, "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie or "Cosmology" by Ryden are excellent resources. These books cover a broad range of topics in astrophysics and provide in-depth explanations.

Additionally, I recommend seeking out online resources such as lecture notes and videos from reputable universities, as well as scientific journals for more specialized and advanced topics.

Remember, learning and understanding physics takes time and effort, so don't be discouraged if it takes some time to fully grasp the concepts. Keep seeking out reliable resources and continue to ask questions. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is "Lord of the Physics Books" about?

"Lord of the Physics Books" is a book that explores the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, such as motion, energy, forces, and electromagnetism. It also delves into more advanced topics like quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Who is the target audience for "Lord of the Physics Books"?

The book is intended for anyone interested in learning about physics, from high school students to adults. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for both beginners and those with some background in physics.

3. What makes "Lord of the Physics Books" stand out from other physics books?

One of the unique aspects of this book is its integration of storytelling and physics. The author uses fictional characters and scenarios to explain complex concepts, making it easier for readers to understand and remember the material. The book also includes interactive elements, such as puzzles and experiments, to further engage readers.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Lord of the Physics Books"?

No, there are no prerequisites for reading this book. The author assumes no prior knowledge of physics and introduces all concepts from the ground up. However, a basic understanding of math, particularly algebra and geometry, may be helpful.

5. Can "Lord of the Physics Books" be used as a textbook for a physics course?

While this book can serve as a supplementary resource for a physics course, it is not intended to be a complete textbook. It covers a wide range of topics but may not go into as much depth as a traditional textbook. It is best used as a supplemental resource for self-study or as a way to introduce physics concepts in a more engaging and creative manner.