Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lorentz derivation of length contraction in electrodynamics

1. Aug 15, 2016 #1
    Here is a quote from this website:

My question is: is this derivation of length contraction considered to be sound and correct today? Are they treated in modern textbooks?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2016 #2
    Length contraction was postulated by George FitzGerald and H.A Lorentz (1892) to explain the negative outcome of the Michelson–Morley experiment and to rescue the hypothesis of the stationary aether .

It was considered an ad hoc hypothesis, because at this time there was no sufficient reason to assume that intermolecular forces behave the same way as electromagnetic ones.

Eventually, Albert Einstein (1905) was the first to completely remove the ad hoc character from the contraction hypothesis, by demonstrating that this contraction did not require motion through a supposed aether, but could be explained using special relativity, which changed our notions of space, time, and simultaneity.

Now a days the special theory of relativity and Lorentz Transformations are used to derive contraction as a consequence of STR.
    one can see details of historical development in <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_contraction> [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Aug 15, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    If I understand well what happened I would say the objections of "ad hoc" hypothesis addressed to Lorentz actually vanished not just because of Einstein's revolution but also because Loretnz's hypothesis that intermolecular forces are electromagnetic turned out to be true. Is this right? So it makes sense to consider the possibility that Lorentz derivation was indeed sound/correct and if it is so maybe it would be remarkable enough to deserve to be treated in textbook today. Is this the case?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Aug 15, 2016 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

The question that Lorentz left open but Einstein answered is what happens to matter that is not held together by electromagnetic forces. Michelson and Morley's interferometer was built on a solid base. But what would happen to an interferometer with mirrors floating freely in vacuum? Einstein says that it will behave the same way as the one with the solid base. But the argument you laid out above gives no reason to expect the distance between free-floating unconnected mirrors to change. That makes it a detailed application of Einstein's more general argument to the case of solid matter, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted