1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Force Law derivation using the Lagrangian

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    * implies time derivative, _i and _j are indices.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a Particle of mass m and charge q acted on by electric and magnetic fields E(x,t) and B(x,t). these fields can be described in therms of the scalar and vector potentials PHI(x,t) and A(x,t) for which E= - gradPHI and B = CurlA.
    Show that the Lagrangian equations of motion for this Lagrangian give back the Lorentz Force Law.

2. Relevant equations
    L= (1/2)mx*^2 - qPHI + qx*.A

Lorentz Force Law: mx**= qE + qx* x B

Lagrange Equation of Motion: (d/dt)(dL/dx*)= dL/dx

3. The attempt at a solution

It was easy for me to derive the qE part of the force law, but I'm having problems with qx* x B.
    First, I used einstein summation notation to express x* X Curl(A), a double cross product and I got two terms,

x*_i (dA_i / dx_j) e_j - x*_j (dA_i / dx_j) e_i

There's a chance this is wrong, I haven't used summation notation in a while.

Now when I take dL/dx for the term with A in the lagrangian. I only get that first term from the double cross product.

I'm not really sure what to do in taking the derivative of x* . A

would that be... x*. gradA ?

Basically, I don't know how to get the qx* x B term out of taking derivatives of the Lagrangian.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem's not too simple. You need to use the identity

[tex] \nabla (\overrightarrow{a}\cdot \overrightarrow{b})=(\overrightarrow{a}\cdot
    \nabla )\overrightarrow{b}+(\overrightarrow{b}\cdot \nabla )\overrightarrow{a}+\overrightarrow{a}\times (\nabla \times \overrightarrow{b})+
    \overrightarrow{b}\times (\nabla \times \overrightarrow{a}) [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?