Lorentz Force Law derivation using the Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Lorentz Force Law using Lagrangian equations of motion for a particle with mass m and charge q, acted on by electric and magnetic fields E(x,t) and B(x,t). The Lagrangian equations involve scalar and vector potentials PHI(x,t) and A(x,t), where E= - gradPHI and B = CurlA. The conversation also mentions using Einstein summation notation and the use of the identity for solving the problem.
Elvex
* implies time derivative, _i and _j are indices.

Homework Statement

Consider a Particle of mass m and charge q acted on by electric and magnetic fields E(x,t) and B(x,t). these fields can be described in therms of the scalar and vector potentials PHI(x,t) and A(x,t) for which E= - gradPHI and B = CurlA.
Show that the Lagrangian equations of motion for this Lagrangian give back the Lorentz Force Law.

Homework Equations

L= (1/2)mx*^2 - qPHI + qx*.A

Lorentz Force Law: mx**= qE + qx* x B

Lagrange Equation of Motion: (d/dt)(dL/dx*)= dL/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

It was easy for me to derive the qE part of the force law, but I'm having problems with qx* x B.
First, I used einstein summation notation to express x* X Curl(A), a double cross product and I got two terms,

x*_i (dA_i / dx_j) e_j - x*_j (dA_i / dx_j) e_i

There's a chance this is wrong, I haven't used summation notation in a while.

Now when I take dL/dx for the term with A in the lagrangian. I only get that first term from the double cross product.

I'm not really sure what to do in taking the derivative of x* . A

would that be... x*. gradA ?

Basically, I don't know how to get the qx* x B term out of taking derivatives of the Lagrangian.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem's not too simple. You need to use the identity

[tex] \nabla (\overrightarrow{a}\cdot \overrightarrow{b})=(\overrightarrow{a}\cdot
\nabla )\overrightarrow{b}+(\overrightarrow{b}\cdot \nabla )\overrightarrow{a}+\overrightarrow{a}\times (\nabla \times \overrightarrow{b})+
\overrightarrow{b}\times (\nabla \times \overrightarrow{a}) [/tex]

1. What is the Lorentz Force Law?

The Lorentz Force Law is an equation that describes the force exerted on a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How is the Lorentz Force Law derived from the Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system. To derive the Lorentz Force Law from the Lagrangian, we use the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a particle is the one that minimizes the action. By applying this principle to a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field, we can derive the Lorentz Force Law.

3. What are the key assumptions made in deriving the Lorentz Force Law using the Lagrangian?

The key assumptions made in deriving the Lorentz Force Law using the Lagrangian include:
- The particle is moving in a vacuum
- The electric and magnetic fields are constant
- The particle's motion is non-relativistic
- The particle's mass is constant
- The particle's charge is constant
- The particle is not interacting with any other particles
- The particle's trajectory is a smooth curve

4. Can the Lorentz Force Law be derived using other methods?

Yes, the Lorentz Force Law can also be derived using other methods such as the Maxwell's equations, the Newton's second law of motion, and the principle of virtual work. However, the Lagrangian approach is often preferred as it provides a more elegant and general formalism for deriving the equation.

5. What are some practical applications of the Lorentz Force Law?

The Lorentz Force Law has many practical applications, including:
- Understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields
- Designing and operating particle accelerators
- Developing technologies such as MRI and mass spectrometry
- Studying the interactions of charged particles in plasma
- Creating and controlling electromagnetic fields for various purposes, such as in motors and generators.