Lorentz Transformation Derivation

In summary, the author is reading Six Not-So-Easy-Pieces and discussing relativity with others. They mention that Lorentz contraction is necessary to account for the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment and that velocity composition may be derived without using the Lorentz transformation. They also mention that time dilation, length contraction, and synchronization of clocks are all possible results of the Lorentz transformation.
jimbobian
Hi everyone, I am looking into relativity as preparation for university and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this.

I am reading Six Not-So-Easy-Pieces and in it Feynman uses the Lorentz transformation and 'derives' it, by showing that Lorentz contraction is necessary to account for the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment. He then shows that in a primed system that has contracted due to its motion, the distance to a fixed point will also contract and so an observer can calculate the 'real' distance as:
\begin{align}
x &= x'{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}
\end{align}
As the primed system is moving towards the fixed point:
\begin{align}
x &= x'{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}} + ut
\end{align}
Thus:
\begin{align}
x' &= \frac{x - ut}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}
\end{align}
Now I don't like this way for two reasons:
1) It presupposes the Lorentz contraction rather than showing it as a result of the Lorentz transformation
2) It is seemingly invented to 'fix' the experiment

So, I asked Google and found http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/lorentztrans.html"

Although I have yet to completely follow through with their reasoning, it too uses Lorentz contraction and time dilation.

So my question is firstly, is it OK to derive the Lorentz transformations using length contraction and time dilation. Surely that is a 'circular derivation'! If not, then how can it be derived by other means.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Einstein originally obtained it as the transformation that preserved Maxwell's Equations, or more specifically the wave equation.

In Einstein's book Relativity: The Special and General Theory, he presents a derivation of the Lorentz transformation starting from the assumption that the speed of a light-signal is the same in any inertial reference frame:

http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html

If you know PDEs, then check out the original article by Einstein:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

For Einstein, the concept of synchronization of clocks plays essential role.

Also, time dilation, length contraction and velocity composition may be derived without using Lorentz transformation. This is shown by the use of the 'light clock'.

Thank you all for your replies, it all makes sense to me now (or at least the order)!

@dickfore - Unfortunately I don't know PDEs, but that might be another port of call for me this summer!

What is Lorentz Transformation Derivation?

Lorentz Transformation Derivation is a mathematical process used in physics to describe how space and time coordinates change when measuring an event from different frames of reference.

Why is Lorentz Transformation Derivation important?

Lorentz Transformation Derivation is important because it allows us to understand the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on objects moving at high speeds.

How is Lorentz Transformation Derivation derived?

Lorentz Transformation Derivation is derived from the principles of special relativity and the constancy of the speed of light. It involves using mathematical equations to transform coordinates and measure time and distance in different frames of reference.

What are the applications of Lorentz Transformation Derivation?

Lorentz Transformation Derivation is used in many fields of physics, including relativistic mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.

Can Lorentz Transformation Derivation be applied to objects moving at any speed?

Yes, Lorentz Transformation Derivation can be applied to objects moving at any speed, as long as they are moving at constant velocities. It is most useful for objects traveling at speeds close to the speed of light.