Lorentz Transformation: Matrix Relation, Metric Tensor

You could also write them as:$$\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu '} \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\sigma '} \eta^{\mu \rho} = \eta_{\nu ' \sigma '}$$$$\Lambda^{\nu '}{}_{\mu} \Lambda^{\sigma '}{}_{\rho} \eta_{\mu \rho} = \eta^{\nu ' \sigma '}$$You can see that the two equations are essentially the same if you interchange the primed and unprimed indices of the Lorentz matrices. So one of the equations is the transpose of the other. The fact that ##\eta## is the same for both equations is
TimeRip496
As known, any Lorentz transformation matrix
##\Lambda##
must obey the relation
##\Lambda^μ{}_v####\Lambda^ρ{}_σ##gμρ=gvσ
. The same holds also for the inverse metric tensor
g
which has the same components as the metric tensor itself (don't really understand why every tex formula starts from a new line), i.e.
##\Lambda^v{}_μ####\Lambda^ρ{}_σ##g=gμρ
. Putting this all as a matrix relation, these two formulas are
ΛTgΛ=g , ΛgΛT=g
, where g is the metric tensor (and also the inverse metric tensor, as they are both the same).

I don't understand why is the lambda transpose and why the two different metric tensor suddenly become the same g. Is there something that I am missing out? And I a bit unsure of the inverse metric tensor stated above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TimeRip496 said:
I don't understand why is the lambda transpose and why the two different metric tensor suddenly become the same g.

A Lorentz transformation transforms between different inertial coordinate systems in flat spacetime. The metric tensor of flat spacetime is the same as the inverse metric tensor--i.e., the numerical values of the components are the same.

As for the transpose of the Lambda matrices, I'm not sure you have that right, because your Lorentz transformation matrices should have one unprimed and one primed index (unprimed for one frame, primed for the other), and the two expressions for the metric should also differ similarly. Using the standard symbol ##\eta## for the metric of flat spacetime, the relationships you wrote down would be:

$$
\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu '} \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\sigma '} \eta_{\mu \rho} = \eta_{\nu ' \sigma '}
$$

$$
\Lambda^{\nu '}{}_{\mu} \Lambda^{\sigma '}{}_{\rho} \eta^{\mu \rho} = \eta^{\nu ' \sigma '}
$$

Notice the primed and unprimed indices and how they are exchanged between the first and second equations. Also note that, although the ##\eta## matrices are all the same, in the sense that each individual component is the same, the equations refer to different components because of the different indices, so they are not saying the same thing.

1. What is the Lorentz transformation matrix?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is a mathematical representation of the relationship between two frames of reference in special relativity. It describes how coordinates and measurements of space and time change when viewed from different inertial frames.

2. How is the Lorentz transformation matrix related to the metric tensor?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is derived from the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of spacetime. The metric tensor allows us to calculate distances and intervals between events, and the Lorentz transformation matrix tells us how these distances and intervals change between frames of reference.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz transformation matrix in physics?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is a fundamental concept in special relativity and has important implications for our understanding of space and time. It allows us to reconcile the seemingly contradictory principles of relativity and provides a mathematical framework for calculating physical quantities in different reference frames.

4. How do you use the Lorentz transformation matrix to calculate time dilation and length contraction?

By applying the Lorentz transformation matrix to the coordinates and measurements of an event in one frame of reference, we can calculate the coordinates and measurements of the same event in another frame. This allows us to determine the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are consequences of the Lorentz transformation and the relative motion between frames.

5. Can the Lorentz transformation matrix be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation matrix can be extended to any number of dimensions. In special relativity, it is typically written as a 4x4 matrix to account for the four dimensions of spacetime (three for space and one for time). However, in other theories such as general relativity, the Lorentz transformation can be extended to higher dimensions to describe the geometry of spacetime in more complex situations.