Lorentz Transforms: Components, Partial Derivatives - Zwiebach 36

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lorentz
In my notes, I call these vectors \hat{e}_0, \hat{e}_1, etc. Here is my summary of the conversation:In summary, the Lorentz transformations for the components of a vector under a boost along the x^1 axis are a'_0 = a_0 \gamma + a_1 \gamma \beta and a'_1 = a_0 \gamma \beta + a_1 \gamma. When transforming a partial derivative, use the multivariable chain rule. In order to show that the objects \partial/\partial x^\mu transform under a boost along the x^1 axis in the same way as the a_\mu, express the partial operators with respect to the primed
ehrenfest
Zwiebach page 36

a)Give the Lorentz transformations for the components a_mu of a vector under a boost along the x^1 axis.

[tex]a'_0 = -a_0 \gamma + a_1 \gamma \beta [/tex]
[tex]a'_1^ = -a_0 \gamma \beta + a_1 \gamma[/tex]
and 2 and 3 are the same.

b) Show that the objects

[tex] \partial/\partial x^\mu[/tex] transform under a boost along the x^1 axis in the same way as the [tex]a_\mu[/tex] in (a) do

Note the upper and lower indices.

Firstly is my answer to (a) good? Second, I am not sure how to transform a partial derivative in (b).

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
Firstly is my answer to (a) good?

I get a different result. Careful with th signs.

Second, I am not sure how to transform a partial derivative in (b).

Use the multivariable chain rule.

George Jones said:
I get a different result. Careful with th signs.

Is this better for part (a)
[tex]a'_0 = a_0 \gamma + a_1 \gamma \beta [/tex]
[tex]a'_1 = a_0 \gamma \beta + a_1 \gamma[/tex]

?

ehrenfest said:
Is this better for part (a)
[tex]a'_0 = a_0 \gamma + a_1 \gamma \beta [/tex]
[tex]a'_1 = a_0 \gamma \beta + a_1 \gamma[/tex]?

Yes, this is what I get.

George Jones said:
Use the multivariable chain rule.

I get, for the example of mu = 0:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} \frac{\partial x' ^ 0}{\partial x^0} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} \frac{\partial x' ^ 0}{\partial x^1} [/tex]

How do I get partials with respect to non-primed coordinates with the multivariable chain rule?

ehrenfest said:
How do I get partials with respect to non-primed coordinates with the multivariable chain rule?

Do you know a formula that expresses [itex]x'^0[/itex] in terms of [itex]x^0[/itex] and [itex]x^1?[/itex] If you do, then just differentiate.

Like this:

[tex] \frac{\partial x'^0}{\partial x^0} = \gamma [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial x'^0}{\partial x^1} = -\gamma \beta [/tex]

In order to show that the objects

[tex] \partial/\partial x^\mu[/tex]

transform as suggested, I need to express the partial operators with respect to the primed coordinates in terms of the partial operators with respect to the nonprimed coordinates, right?

What I showed above does not even have an operator really.

ehrenfest said:
[tex] \frac{\partial x'^0}{\partial x^0} = \gamma [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial x'^0}{\partial x^1} = -\gamma \beta [/tex]

Substitute these into a corrected version of the equation that you gave in post #5. I just noticed that this equation is not right.

I honestly do not see why my multivariable chain rule equation is wrong.

ehrenfest said:
I honestly do not see why my multivariable chain rule equation is wrong.

In post #5, you wrote

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} \frac{\partial x' ^ 0}{\partial x^0} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} \frac{\partial x' ^ 0}{\partial x^1} [/tex]

"Cancellation" (I don't really mean cancellation) should turn each term on the right into the term on the left. After "cancellation' your expression is

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x'^0} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^0} + \frac{\partial }{\partial x^1}. [/tex]

Notice that each term on the right looks different than the term on the left.

Take a close look at the chain rule in a text.

I see. I am good with part (b). Now, for part (c), he means the expressions

p = -i h-bar del

and E = i h-bar d/dt

right?

So the p_mu is the momentum four-vector? How can you have a momentum four-vector when one component of that vector is basically time?

ehrenfest said:
So the p_mu is the momentum four-vector?

With lower indices. Forget about quantum theory for a bit. In an inertial frame, what is p_0?

George Jones said:
With lower indices. Forget about quantum theory for a bit. In an inertial frame, what is p_0?

[tex] p_0 = -E/c [/tex]

So I need to show that this is also equal to [tex] \hbar/i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}} [/tex]? Should I use those equation in my previous post? Plugging in for E does not seem to work.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
[tex] p_0 = -E/c [/tex]

So I need to show that this is also equal to

[tex] \hbar/i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}} [/tex]?

You need to show that it is equal to

[tex] \hbar/i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^0} [/tex]

Should I use those equation in my previous post?

Yes.

Got it. Done with 2.3!

ehrenfest said:
Got it. Done with 2.3!

Great!

Note that Zwiebach uses "physicist's math", i.e., he treats each [itex]\partial / \partial x^\mu[/itex] as a component of a covector. In modern (not so modern now) differential geometry, each [itex]\partial / \partial x^\mu[/itex] is a tangent vector, not a component.

1. What are Lorentz transforms?

Lorentz transforms are a set of mathematical equations that describe how space and time coordinates change when observed from different frames of reference. They were developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and are a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. What are the components of a Lorentz transform?

The components of a Lorentz transform are time dilation, length contraction, and velocity addition. Time dilation refers to the fact that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. Length contraction describes how objects appear shorter when observed from a different frame of reference. Velocity addition explains how velocities in one frame of reference are related to velocities in another frame.

3. How are Lorentz transforms used?

Lorentz transforms are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to calculate the effects of special relativity on phenomena such as time, length, and velocity. They are also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.

4. What are partial derivatives in Lorentz transforms?

Partial derivatives are a type of mathematical operation used in Lorentz transforms to calculate the rate of change of a particular variable with respect to another variable. In the context of Lorentz transforms, partial derivatives are used to determine how space and time coordinates change in different frames of reference.

5. What is the significance of Zwiebach 36 in Lorentz transforms?

Zwiebach 36 refers to the 36th chapter in the textbook "A First Course in String Theory" by Barton Zwiebach. In this chapter, Zwiebach discusses the mathematical foundations of special relativity, including Lorentz transforms. It is a commonly referenced resource for understanding the mathematics behind Lorentz transforms.