1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz/velocity transformation

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two spaceships approach the Earth from opposite directions. According to an observer on the Earth, ship A is moving at a speed of .753c and ship B at a speed of .851c. What is the speed of ship A as observed from ship B? Of ship B as observed from ship A?

2. Relevant equations

v'=(v-u)/(1-u*v/c^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

For the speed of ship A with respect to B I tried
    (.851c-.753c)/(1-.851c*.753c/c^2) = .2728c
    For the speed of ship B with respect to A i tried
    (.851c+.753c)/(1+.851c*.753c/c^2) = .9776c
    I am not sure of the correct answers, However I'm pretty sure these are wrong. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2
    Let [tex] S [/tex] be a coordinate system fixed on the observer on earth, oriented such that the positive x-axis is in the direction of the motion of ship A. Then in that frame ship A has velocity [tex] 0.753c [/tex] and ship B has velocity [tex] -0.851c [/tex].

Now, we set up a fram [tex] S' [/tex] in which ship A is stationary and which has x-axis oriented in the same way as fram [tex] S [/tex]. Then in your formula [tex] v' [/tex] is the velocity of ship B as seen from ship A, [tex] u [/tex] is the velocity of ship A w.r.t. [tex] S [/tex] (earth) and [tex] v [/tex] is the velocity of ship B w.r.t. earth.

Then the velocity of ship B as seen from ship A is

[tex] v' = \frac{-0.851-0.753}{1+0.753\times 0.851} c [/tex]

If you instead consider an observer in ship B then you will get ([tex] v' [/tex] is the velocity of ship A as seen from ship B, [tex] v [/tex] is the velocity of ship A as seen from earth and [tex] u [/tex] is the velocity of ship B as seen from earth

[tex] v' = \frac{0.753+0.851}{1+0.753\times 0.851} c [/tex]

and both these are equal to (except for signs) [tex] 0.9776 c [/tex] .

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?