Lorentz Velocity Transformation

Glad I could help. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it.In summary, the Lorentz transformation equations for velocity components can be used to show that the total velocity of a light signal remains constant in all frames, as demonstrated by the equation for vx'^2 + vy'^2 + vz'^2 = c^2. This can be achieved by substituting the transformation equations for vx, vy, and vz into the original equation and simplifying accordingly. Remember to be careful with algebra and practice to improve your skills.
JonathanT

Homework Statement

Consider a light signal propagating in some arbitrary direction, with

vx [itex]\neq[/itex] 0
vy [itex]\neq[/itex] 0
vz [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 and

vx2 + vy2 + vz2 = c2

Use the Lorentz transformation equations for the components of velocity to show that

v'x2 + v'y2 + v'z2 = c2

Homework Equations

Combination of Velocities

v'x = (vx - V)/(1-vxV/c2)

v'y = (vy√1-V2/c2))/(1-vxV/c2)

v'z = (vz√1-V2/c2))/(1-vxV/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is just a simple algebra proof but for some reason I'm getting stuck on it. Maybe I'm using the wrong equations?

I would really appreciate being shown where to start for this proof. Thanks in advance for the help and/or time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should get the transformation equations for vx, vy, vz to the prime variables and insert them into vx^2 +vy^2 +vz^2 = c^2 to show this reduces to vx'^2 +vy'^2 +vz'^2 = c^2. Since the speed of light is constant in all frames, the change in frames should be invariant under the lorentz transformation. Just be careful with your algebra...if it starts to get too messy then you probably did a simplification that led you in the wrong direction.

Thank you. I apparently was making a stupid algebra mistake and over complicating it. Just knowing I was heading in the right direction helped. Made me find my mistake. Thanks again.

no problem!

Dear student,

The Lorentz velocity transformation equations are used to describe how velocities appear to change from one reference frame to another in special relativity. In this case, we are considering a light signal propagating in an arbitrary direction, meaning that it has nonzero velocities in all three spatial dimensions (vx, vy, vz). We also know from the given information that the sum of the squares of these velocities is equal to the speed of light squared (c2).

To show that the transformed velocities (v'x, v'y, v'z) also have a sum of squares equal to c2, we can use the Lorentz transformation equations for the components of velocity. These equations show how the transformed velocities (v'x, v'y, v'z) are related to the original velocities (vx, vy, vz) and the relative velocity between the two reference frames (V).

Starting with the transformed velocity in the x-direction (v'x), we can substitute in the Lorentz transformation equation for v'x and use the given information to simplify:

v'x = (vx - V)/(1-vxV/c2)

= (vx - V)(1+vxV/c2)/[(1-vxV/c2)(1+vxV/c2)] (multiplying by the conjugate)

= (vx - V + vxV2/c2)/(1 - vx2V2/c4) (expanding the denominator)

= (vx - V + vx(c2-vx2))/c2 (using vx2 + vy2 + vz2 = c2)

= (vx - V + vxc2 - vx3)/c2

= (vx + vxc2 - V - vx3)/c2 (rearranging terms)

= (vx√1-V2/c2 - V)/(1 - vxV/c2) (using the Lorentz transformation equation for vx)

= v'x (substituting back in the definition of v'x)

We can repeat this process for the transformed velocities in the y- and z-directions, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to show that the sum of their squares is equal to c2:

v'y = (vy√1-V2/c2)/(1-vxV/c2)

v'z = (vz√1-V2/c2)/(1-vxV/c2)

v'x2 + v'y

What is the Lorentz Velocity Transformation?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how velocities appear to change between two different reference frames in special relativity. It was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and later expanded upon by Albert Einstein.

Why is the Lorentz Velocity Transformation important?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation is important because it allows us to understand how velocities are affected by the principles of special relativity, specifically time dilation and length contraction. It is crucial for accurately describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or spacecraft traveling near the speed of light.

How does the Lorentz Velocity Transformation work?

The formula for the Lorentz Velocity Transformation involves the speed of light (c) and the velocity (v) in each reference frame. It states that the velocity of an object in one frame (v') is equal to the velocity of the object in another frame (v) plus the speed of light (c), divided by the product of the speed of light and the sum of the velocity in the other frame (v) and the product of the velocities in each frame (v*v').

What is the difference between the Lorentz Velocity Transformation and Galilean velocity addition?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation takes into account the principles of special relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light, while Galilean velocity addition does not. Galilean velocity addition is only accurate at low speeds, while the Lorentz Velocity Transformation is accurate for all speeds.

Are there any limitations to the Lorentz Velocity Transformation?

While the Lorentz Velocity Transformation is accurate for all speeds, it does have limitations. It cannot be applied to objects with infinite mass or to objects traveling at or above the speed of light. It also assumes that the reference frames are moving at constant velocities relative to each other.