1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost energy when capacitor discharges

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two capacitors: 1-Farad capacitor A, and 9-Farad capacitor B.
    In state (a), I charged A with 1 Coulomb of charges, as depicted in figure (a).
    In state (b), I paralleled A with B, by doing this I discharged A, as depicted in figure (b).

I try to find the total energy of state (a) and state (b). From what I have calculated, the system lost 90% of its energy when it goes from (a) to (b). Where does the energy go?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]Q=C\phi[/itex]
    [itex]U=(1/2)C\phi^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Please refer to the image below.
    IMG_0050 copy.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You heat the wires and the capacitors from the resistances in the setup. A tiny bit is also lost to electromagnetic radiation.

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3
    I think my approach to find energy assumes there is no resistance on wires. So I suspect that energy would not turn to heat on these wires.

What I see during the discharge process is a flow of electrons. Can you explain how electromagnetic radiation is produced?

5. Feb 15, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your approach is independent of the resistance.
    Connecting capacitors like that without any resistors is a very special case, it will give you an extremely good oscillator (as you always have a small inductance) and all the lost energy will be emitted as radiation over time.
    You have a variable current flow = accelerated charges. With small resistances, current will oscillate back and forth for a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted