Lots of Trouble With Free-Fall

• Thread starter evilempire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free-fall
In summary, when Rock A is thrown, its Yfinal is -4.9t^2 + 35.3t. Rock B is thrown 1.390 seconds later and its Yfinal is -4.9t^2 + M*t. When the two Yfinals are the same, t=3.6 seconds.
evilempire
Hi, it's my first post. Thanks for letting me join your forums as I learn physics.

Here is the problem:

A stone is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 35.30 m/s at time t=0. A second stone is thrown upward with the same speed 1.390 seconds later. At what time are the two stones at the same height?

I've used kinematics to get the time for the stone to reach maximum height as 3.6 seconds, for what that's worth. I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, and am effectively lost. Anything to help me get in the right direction would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know these equations (I hope at least)

Yfinal = A/2t^2 + Vit + Yi
Vfinal = At + Vi
Where A = acceleration
Vi = initial velocity
Yi = initial height

So…

Yfinal = -4.9t^2 + 35.3t + 0 is going to be the position equations for when a rock is first thrown and Vfinal = -9.8t + 0 will be your velocity equation.

So I would first figure out the velocity and y position of the first rock thrown (rock A) when you throw the second rock (rock B)

RockA’s Y = 4.9(1.390)^2 + 35.3(1.390) + 0
Since I don’t have a calculator on me let us call this value N
RockA’s Vfinal = -9.8(1.390) + 0
And we will call this one M

So the equation of the first rock when the second one is thrown is:
RockA’s Yfinal equation When rockB is launched = -4.9t^2 + M*t + N

Your goal is to find out when the two Yfinals are the same, so you set the equations equal to each other…
-4.9t^2 + 35.3t = -4.9t^2 + M*t + N
and solve for t

JonF said:
You know these equations (I hope at least)

Yfinal = A/2t^2 + Vit + Yi
Vfinal = At + Vi
Where A = acceleration
Vi = initial velocity
Yi = initial height

So…

Yfinal = -4.9t^2 + 35.3t + 0 is going to be the position equations for when a rock is first thrown and Vfinal = -9.8t + 0 will be your velocity equation.

So I would first figure out the velocity and y position of the first rock thrown (rock A) when you throw the second rock (rock B)

RockA’s Y = 4.9(1.390)^2 + 35.3(1.390) + 0
Since I don’t have a calculator on me let us call this value N
RockA’s Vfinal = -9.8(1.390) + 0
And we will call this one M

So the equation of the first rock when the second one is thrown is:
RockA’s Yfinal equation When rockB is launched = -4.9t^2 + M*t + N

Your goal is to find out when the two Yfinals are the same, so you set the equations equal to each other…
-4.9t^2 + 35.3t = -4.9t^2 + M*t + N
and solve for t

Thanks for the detailed and thorough response! I believe I now understand the concept of the problem, but am unsure how to solve that particular equation for t. I understand the -4.9t^2 will cancel each other out, but how does one get the t's on one side? Please explain and thank you again.

If anyone else could jump in and help me out it would be great.

That's kind of basic, though I must admit I only got good at it recently. Just subtract the M*t from one side and add it to the other, with opposite signs. Always remember you may apply anything to any side of the equation, as long as you do it to the other side, too. So subtract it from one of the sides, you must subtract it from the other and you get opposite signs.
Good luck!

What is "Lots of Trouble With Free-Fall" about?

"Lots of Trouble With Free-Fall" is a scientific experiment designed to study the effects of free-fall on a variety of objects. It involves dropping objects of different weights and sizes from a height and recording their motion and impact upon hitting the ground.

What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to gather data on the behavior of objects in free-fall and analyze the effects of gravity and air resistance on their motion. This information can be used to better understand the laws of physics and make predictions about the behavior of objects in free-fall.

What materials are needed for the experiment?

The experiment requires a variety of objects of different weights and sizes, a measuring tape or ruler, a stopwatch or timer, and a safe and open space to conduct the experiment. It may also require additional equipment such as a camera or data collection tools depending on the specific goals and methods of the experiment.

What are some potential safety concerns with this experiment?

Some potential safety concerns with this experiment include ensuring that the objects being dropped do not pose a danger to anyone nearby, choosing a safe and open location to conduct the experiment, and following proper safety protocols when handling and dropping the objects. It is also important to consider any potential risks associated with the selected materials and equipment.

What are some possible applications of the findings from this experiment?

The findings from this experiment can have various practical applications, such as improving the design of parachutes and other objects that experience free-fall, understanding the physics of skydiving and other activities involving free-fall, and enhancing our understanding of the behavior of objects in space or during natural disasters such as earthquakes. Additionally, the data collected from this experiment can also be used to educate and engage students in the study of physics and science.