Lowest Friction Linear Bearing

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a slider using linear bearings to act as a scotch yoke. The main concern is choosing the right type of bearings that will minimize energy loss due to friction. Additional factors to consider include the weight being suspended, the angle at which the force will be applied, and the high number of iterations per minute. The question of whether to use ball bearings or slip bearings and any recommended manufacturers is also brought up. A sketch or visual representation of the 45-degree angle is requested for clarification.
Chris Hill
I have been researching this topic for a while, and I wanted to get some feedback from people with more experience than myself.

I want to create a slider, suspended by linear bearings, that will act as a scotch yoke. I'm wondering what type of bearings will give me the lowest energy loss to friction.

There are a couple of elements in play here:
-The bearing will only be suspending 5-10lbs of weight.
-The force causing the slider to reciprocate will be applied at a 45 degree angle from the direction of the slider's motion.
-The machine will have many iterations per minute (~1000+), and therefore needs resilient bearings.

Do I use ball bearings or slip bearings? Is there a go-to manufacturer?

Do you have a sketch or something you can post to show what you mean by the 45* angle?

1. What is a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing"?

A "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" is a type of bearing that is designed to minimize friction and resistance in linear motion. It is commonly used in applications where precise and smooth movement is required, such as in robotics, medical equipment, and machinery.

2. How does a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" work?

A "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" typically consists of a rail and a block, with small balls or rollers between them. The balls or rollers allow the block to move smoothly along the rail with minimal friction. The design of the bearing is crucial in reducing friction, as well as the materials used.

3. What are the benefits of using a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing"?

The main benefit of using a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" is its ability to provide smooth and precise linear motion with minimal resistance. This can result in improved efficiency, accuracy, and longevity of the machinery or equipment it is used in. Additionally, reduced friction can also lead to lower energy consumption and less wear and tear on the bearing and surrounding components.

4. How do you choose the right "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" for your application?

When choosing a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing", it is important to consider factors such as load capacity, speed, precision, and environmental conditions. Different types of bearings may have different levels of friction and may be better suited for specific applications. It is best to consult with a bearing expert or refer to manufacturer specifications to ensure the correct bearing is chosen for your specific needs.

5. Can a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" be lubricated?

Yes, a "Lowest Friction Linear Bearing" can be lubricated to further reduce friction and enhance its performance. However, it is important to use the correct type and amount of lubrication, as too much can cause excess build-up and lead to increased friction. Consult with the manufacturer or a bearing expert for recommendations on lubrication for your specific bearing and application.