Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lowest Friction Linear Bearing

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    I have been researching this topic for a while, and I wanted to get some feedback from people with more experience than myself.

I want to create a slider, suspended by linear bearings, that will act as a scotch yoke. I'm wondering what type of bearings will give me the lowest energy loss to friction.

There are a couple of elements in play here:
    -The bearing will only be suspending 5-10lbs of weight.
    -The force causing the slider to reciprocate will be applied at a 45 degree angle from the direction of the slider's motion.
    -The machine will have many iterations per minute (~1000+), and therefore needs resilient bearings.

Do I use ball bearings or slip bearings? Is there a go-to manufacturer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    Do you have a sketch or something you can post to show what you mean by the 45* angle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook