1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lowish Verbal GRE Score and Top Physics Grad Programs

Tags:
  1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I just finished up the GRE with with a Verbal:530, Q:780, A:5.5 and was wondering how much that low verbal score would hurt my chances at top grad schools in astrophysics.

I know a lot of averages are ~600ish, but I have the following on my resume which I think is rather good.

Vanderbilt University: Overall GPA 3.85: Physics GPA 3.95
    -2011 Goldwater Scholar
    -Working on a current publication in theoretical astrophysics on big bang photosynthesis
    -Winner of Vanderbilt's McMinn Honors Scholarship (2 sophomores get it each year for full ride/have had it then for a year)
    -Winner of Vanderbilt's Ernst Jones Physics Scholarship
    -RISE program in Germany last summer
    -Two Summers working at ORNL in nanoscience
    -Poster presentations at National conferences during High School
    -Have finished my undergraduate courses so next semester (my senior year) I am taking 4 graduate courses and doing senior research

Taking the physics GRE in October and expect that I'll do pretty well ~850ish.

Thoughts on my low Verbal... Worth taking it again or just rest on the rest of application to pull it up?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted