Why Does Luminol Emit Different Colors in Chemiluminescence?

• Thread starter sinclair18
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a lab in AP Chem class involving chemiluminescence. The lab includes mixing luminol with hydrogen peroxide and other chemicals, causing a red glow that turns white and then blue before fading away. The combination of luminol and hydrogen peroxide is responsible for the blue light, but the cause of the red light is unknown. The chemical equation for the reaction may involve luminol, hydrogen peroxide, and a catalyst (formalyhydride). The speaker is also asking for the exact procedure for the lab.
sinclair18
Hi! So I have a question. We're doing this lab in my ap chem class revolving around chemiluminescence. In the lab, we mix luminol with hydrogen peroxide and a few other chemicals. Aftwerwards, we turn off the lights and the reactions proceeds to emit a red glow which then turns white and finally blue before fading away. I understand that the combination of the luminol and hydrogen peroxide cause the blue light to be emitted but what I don't under stand is what caused the red light to be emitted and how. Can anyone please help?

Also if anyone knows the chemical equation involved in this reaction that would be very helpful (I pretty sure it should be luminol + hydrogen peroxide + catalyst (formalyhydride) --> H2O + O2 + but correct me if I'm wrong)

Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
sinclair18 said:
Hi! So I have a question. We're doing this lab in my ap chem class revolving around chemiluminescence. In the lab, we mix luminol with hydrogen peroxide and a few other chemicals. Aftwerwards, we turn off the lights and the reactions proceeds to emit a red glow which then turns white and finally blue before fading away. I understand that the combination of the luminol and hydrogen peroxide cause the blue light to be emitted but what I don't under stand is what caused the red light to be emitted and how. Can anyone please help?

Also if anyone knows the chemical equation involved in this reaction that would be very helpful (I pretty sure it should be luminol + hydrogen peroxide + catalyst (formalyhydride) --> H2O + O2 + but correct me if I'm wrong)

Thank you very much for your time.

Tell us the exact procedure please.

What is luminol chemiluminescence?

Luminol chemiluminescence is a chemical reaction that produces light, also known as chemiluminescence. It occurs when luminol, a light-emitting compound, reacts with an oxidizing agent, such as hydrogen peroxide, in the presence of a catalyst, usually iron or copper.

What is the purpose of using luminol chemiluminescence in scientific research?

Luminol chemiluminescence is commonly used in scientific research to detect the presence of specific substances, such as blood or bleach, in a sample. It is also used to study the kinetics of chemical reactions and to visualize biological processes, such as enzyme activity, in living cells.

How is luminol chemiluminescence used in forensic investigations?

Luminol chemiluminescence is frequently used in forensic investigations to detect traces of blood at crime scenes. The luminol solution is sprayed onto surfaces and any areas where blood is present will emit a blue light, making it easier for investigators to identify and collect evidence.

What are the limitations of using luminol chemiluminescence in forensic investigations?

While luminol chemiluminescence is a useful tool in forensic investigations, it has some limitations. It can produce false positive results, meaning it can also detect substances other than blood, such as certain metals and cleaning products. It also has a short window of detection and can only be used on fresh blood, as the reaction will not occur with older, degraded blood.

Are there any safety concerns when working with luminol chemiluminescence?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be taken when using luminol chemiluminescence. The chemicals used in the reaction can be hazardous if not handled properly, and the reaction can produce toxic fumes. Protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when working with luminol, and the area should be well-ventilated.