M-ary Tree: Given Nodes, find leaves

• Thread starter scorpius1782
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodes Tree
In summary, an M-ary tree is a type of tree data structure with nodes that can have up to M children. To find the leaves of an M-ary tree, one must traverse through the tree and check each node for children. The time complexity for finding leaves in an M-ary tree is O(n), where n is the number of nodes. M-ary trees can have a varying number of children per node and are commonly used in applications such as data storage and retrieval, decision trees, and hierarchical data structures.
scorpius1782

Homework Statement

(I'm struggling with trees now so I expect to have a lot more questions on here like this)

I have a 4-ary tree with 173 nodes. How many leaves do I have?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that each node, if it is not a leaf, will have 4 nodes coming off of it (stated in problem). It seems to me that there should be a quick and simple way to do this... but I can't figure it out. Like all of these other problems I can't simply draw the trees and expect to be able to count without being 100% sure I didn't make a mistake. Or even have it drawn and turned in on time since they can be quite large...

So, I tried simple examples. Say only 2 of the first 4 shared it, then: 1+4+2*4+8*4+32*4=173. Well, I know that at height 1 there are 2 leaves. Height 2 there are no leaves.. and at height 4 they must all be leaves. Therefore, there are 2+32*4=130 leaves.

I believe I'm right but is there a simpler way to do this??

Physics news on Phys.org
scorpius1782 said:

Homework Statement

(I'm struggling with trees now so I expect to have a lot more questions on here like this)

I have a 4-ary tree with 173 nodes. How many leaves do I have?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that each node, if it is not a leaf, will have 4 nodes coming off of it (stated in problem). It seems to me that there should be a quick and simple way to do this... but I can't figure it out. Like all of these other problems I can't simply draw the trees and expect to be able to count without being 100% sure I didn't make a mistake. Or even have it drawn and turned in on time since they can be quite large...

So, I tried simple examples. Say only 2 of the first 4 shared it, then: 1+4+2*4+8*4+32*4=173. Well, I know that at height 1 there are 2 leaves. Height 2 there are no leaves.. and at height 4 they must all be leaves. Therefore, there are 2+32*4=130 leaves.

I believe I'm right but is there a simpler way to do this??
I don't understand what you're doing, so I don't know if the number you got is correct. Counting the nodes seems more to me like adding a finite series.

Top level (root) : 1 node
2nd level: 4 nodes
3rd level: 16 nodes
4th level: 64 nodes
5th level: 256 nodes

For each node in a given level, there can be up to 4 nodes below it. At each level, the number of nodes would be four times the number of nodes in the previous level. In the top two levels there are 5 nodes in all. In the top three levels, there are 21 nodes in all. In the top four levels, there are 85 nodes in all, and so on. Since there are fewer than 1 + 4 + 16 + 64 + 256 nodes, the fifth level can't be full, so some of the nodes in the fourth level must be leaves, not nodes.

That's how I would approach it.

I started the problem this way but couldn't figure out how I could simply get the number of leaves. I mean, some of the 4th level clearly have leaves but I have no idea how many. That is why I resorted to examples.

From the root through the 4th level there are 85 nodes. How many more nodes do you need to get to a total of 173 nodes? The remainder have to be in the 5th level. Some of the nodes at the 4th level will necessarily turn out to be leaf nodes.

173-85=88, so 22 nodes in level 4 have children and 44 are leaves. 44+88=132. That's too many, I think. Have I made a mistake?

No, 22 nodes in level 4 have children (4 apiece) and 42 of the nodes in level 4 are leaves. All 88 of the level 5 nodes are leaves.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
No, 22 nodes in level 4 have children (4 apiece) and 46 of the nodes in level 4 are leaves. All 88 of the level 5 nodes are leaves.
But, that would make 68 nodes in level 4.

I wrote 46, but meant 42. It was pretty late when I wrote that. It is now corrected in my earlier post.

Okay, I just noticed my mistake as well. Thats what happens I write on my phone as I'm falling asleep in bed. Thanks for the help

The answer here is less important than the technique I used, which was pretty much just counting how many nodes there were at each level, and the running totals for the levels. Since you had 173 nodes, and levels 1 through 4 accounted for a total of 85 nodes, and levels 1 through 5 could have at most 341 nodes, the 5th level couldn't be completely filled. The rest was just figuring out how many nodes in the 4th level could be nodes, and how many could be leaves.

Related to M-ary Tree: Given Nodes, find leaves

1. What is an M-ary tree?

An M-ary tree is a type of tree data structure where each node can have up to M children. This is different from a binary tree, where each node can have a maximum of 2 children.

2. How do you find the leaves of an M-ary tree given its nodes?

To find the leaves of an M-ary tree, you will need to traverse through the tree and check each node to see if it has any children. If a node has no children, then it is a leaf. If a node has children, then you will need to recursively check each of its children until you reach a leaf node.

3. What is the time complexity of finding leaves in an M-ary tree?

The time complexity of finding leaves in an M-ary tree is O(n), where n is the number of nodes in the tree. This is because you will need to visit each node in the tree to check if it is a leaf or not.

4. Can an M-ary tree have a varying number of children per node?

Yes, an M-ary tree can have a varying number of children per node. The value of M can be different for each node in the tree.

5. What are some applications of M-ary trees?

M-ary trees are commonly used in computer science for data storage and retrieval, such as in file systems and databases. They are also used in decision trees and game trees in artificial intelligence and in hierarchical data structures for representing data with parent-child relationships.