1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M.S./Ph.D. in Physics

1. Aug 2, 2015 #1
    In 2004, I finished a joint B.S./M.S. at a decent state school did well (3.8/3.4 GPA). That summer, I started a Ph.D. program and had several issues. The school made a note of the issues (among them a low GPA) and gave me a terminal M.S. degree in 2009.

I'd like to try again and show places that I am capable of doing well in a graduate program, but I'm not sure of the steps to take. It has been a long time, and I cannot get good references. There are a couple of lower-tier state schools that offer admission to their M.S. programs without having to supply letters, but this would be my third master's degree! Getting a job has been difficult because of low GPA and time since graduation. If anyone could offer advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2015 #2
    Is it possible to find work in a lab at a university near you in order to get some letters of recommendation?

4. Aug 3, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you think grad school will be different this time? That's what they will be asking, and that's what your application needs to show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook