M2= 6/4M1 F/M2 = F/(6/4M1) 4.8ms-1 = F/M2

In summary, the locomotive applied the same force over the same time to the second wagon to create an impulse, which was then converted to momentum change.
Dolan

Homework Statement

A railway locomotive pushed a stationary wagon to accelerate it to a speed of 4.00 m s-1. The engine then applies an equivalent force over the same time on a second wagon to accelerate it from rest to a speed of 6.00 ms-1. The second wagon rolls down the track, collides with the first, and the two lock together. The loco must now push the two stationary wagons to the other end of the shunting yard. What speed could the two railway carriages achieve if the loco applies the same impulse?

Answer is 4.8ms-1, however I'm not sure how they got it. (answerbook)

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

If F is constant between both equations and you are given A, that means M must change

so
6= F/M1
4=F/M2

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no mention oif acceleration, so F=ma is not going to be useful. Do you know any equations concerning momentum?
If the engine provided momentum I to the first wagon, how much momentum did it provide to the second? What
does this tell you about the two masses?

m1 u1 + m2 u2 = m1 v1 + m2 v2

the two masses are the same?

What's the relation between force, time and momentum change?

ap123 said:
What's the relation between force, time and momentum change?

Impulse?
I'm not sure

Then, what's the relation between impulse and momentum change?

I guess ap123 would like to see an equation. You already quoted F = ma but just that is not going to get you there.

Impulse = FT= m(v-u) = ΔP

F is the force
T is the time
M is the mass
v is the final velocity
U in the initial velocity

Dolan said:
Impulse = FT= m(v-u) = ΔP

F is the force
T is the time
M is the mass
v is the final velocity
U in the initial velocity

Good :-)

We don't know F and t, and the initial momentum is zero, so just write J = P

Apply this to the first and second wagons individually and to the 2 joined wagons and see what you get.

What's J?

Dolan said:
What's J?
J is the impulse

Sorry but I'm not really following.

could you give me the formula I should use?

1. You are told that the engine applied the same force for the same time to the second wagon. If it gave an impulse (change in momentum) to the first wagon, what impulse did it give to the second. (Use J = ∫F.dt, or, since we take the force as constant here, J = F*t.)
2. Another formula for change in momentum is the m (v-u) you quoted. What equations using J, M1, M2 and the given speeds does that give you?
3. What equation using J, M1, M2 can you write down for the case where the engine pushes both?

1. J=F*t
This could be rearranged as, J = Ft = mv - mu
The first carriage, m1 : Ft=(m1)(4m/s)
The second carriage, m1: Ft=(m2)(6m/s)
So 4m1 = 6m2 or m1= 1.5m2

now m1u1+m2u2=(m1+m2)v
so (4m/s)+(6m/s) =(m1+m2)v and incorporating the relationship that m1=1.5m2

then (1.5)(4m/s)(m2)+(6m2)=(1.5)(m2+m2)v

(m2 will now cancel), leaving v=12/2.5 = 4.8 m/s

Thanks a bunch for your help. If you could please show me any other methods for doing this that would be great.

1. What does the equation M2= 6/4M1 F/M2 = F/(6/4M1) 4.8ms-1 = F/M2 mean?

This equation represents the relationship between the masses and forces of two objects. M2 is the mass of the second object, 6/4M1 represents the ratio of the mass of the second object to the mass of the first object, and F/M2 is the force exerted on the second object. The last part, 4.8ms-1 = F/M2, shows that the force exerted on the second object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

2. How is the equation M2= 6/4M1 F/M2 = F/(6/4M1) 4.8ms-1 = F/M2 used in scientific research?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the relationship between the masses and forces of two objects. It can be used to predict the acceleration of an object based on its mass and the force exerted on it, or to determine the mass of an object based on its acceleration and the force applied to it.

3. Can this equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this equation can be applied to real-life situations. It is often used in fields such as mechanics, astronomy, and aerodynamics to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion. For example, this equation can be used to calculate the force required to launch a rocket into space or to determine the mass of an unknown planet based on the acceleration of objects on its surface.

4. How does this equation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

This equation is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this equation, the ratio of the masses (6/4M1) represents the inverse relationship between mass and acceleration, while the force (F) is directly proportional to acceleration (4.8ms-1).

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using this equation?

Like any scientific equation, there are limitations and assumptions to consider when using this equation. It assumes that the objects being studied are point masses with no physical dimensions and that there are no external forces acting on them. It also does not take into account factors such as air resistance or friction, which can affect the acceleration of an object in real-life situations.