Mach's Principle: Right or Wrong?

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, Mach's Principle is considered a precursor to Einstein's Theory of Relativity but can also stand as a legitimate principle on its own. It suggests that the origin of inertia is a result of a body's interaction with other masses in the universe, rather than a property of space itself. However, General Relativity does not fully satisfy Mach's Principle as the gravitational constant is not affected by the distribution of masses in the universe. Some argue that Mach's Principle is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of our universe, while others criticize it for relying on speculation about an empty universe.
Phrak said:
Is there any truth to the rumor that general relativity incorrectly handles orbital angular momentum?

Einstein-Cartan theory is supposed to fix a theoretical problem with spin angular momentum (not orbital angular momentum).

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
Einstein-Cartan theory is supposed to fix a theoretical problem with spin angular momentum (not orbital angular momentum).

That's what I understand, Jonathan. Though some think corrections to orbital angular momentum are implied from corrections to spin angular momentum.

Phrak said:
We don't have any empty universes to experiment with. Without one, we can apply the theory we have, or make up a new one. Any other suggestions?
Not for practical experiments, no. But we're in the realm of theoretical physics here, not empirical physics.

Obviously, speculating about an empty universe is very relevant to a discussion of Mach's principle, which is the subject of this thread.

If I knew of a way to empirically prove or disprove Mach's Principle, I wouldn't post it here and let someone else get the Nobel Prize for it, now would I? :smile: