1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin series

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Work out the first five derivatives of the function [itex]f(x)=sec(x)[/itex], and hence deduce the Maclaurin series of [itex]g(x)=sec(x)(1+tan(x))[/itex] up to and including the term of order [itex]x^4[/itex].

(Hint: why have you been asked for five derivatives of [itex]f(x)[/itex]?)

The Maclaurin series for function [itex]g(x)[/itex] is given by [tex]g(x)=\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty \frac{g^{k}(0)}{k!}x^k[/tex]

I know how to differentiate [itex]g(x)[/itex], and although it would take a long time, I could differentiate [itex]g(x)[/itex] 4 times, evaluate the derivatives at [itex]x=0[/itex] and substitute the values in the series equation above to deduce the Maclaurin series up to the [itex]x^4[/itex] term. But I'm not sure how differentiating [itex]f(x)=sec(x)[/itex] 5 times would make this problem less time consuming. In short, I do not understand the hint. Could someone please explain the hint? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is a Maclaurin series, so 1) each derivative is evaluated at x = 0, and 2) it's a sum of powers of x. Once you get to the 5th derivative of sec(x) I think you'll see what the hint is about.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    The 5th derivative of sec(x) is tan(x)sec(x)(120sec^4(x)-60sec^(x)+1). Sorry, but I still don't get the hint.

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That looks fine. So with f(x) = sec(x), you have f(5)(x) = tan(x)sec(x)(120sec^4(x)-60sec^(x)+1).
    What is f(5)(0)?

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the sense of the hint is that you should compute the Maclaurin series of sec(x) up to power x^4 and then multiply by the Maclaurin series of 1+tan(x), rather than computing the series of sec(x)(1+tan(x)) directly. The differentiation is easier.

7. Nov 21, 2013 #6
    f(5)(0) = 0

Oh, I see. But to compute the Maclaurin series for sec(x) up to the power x^4, I only need to differentiate it 4 times. Why did the question ask for the 5th derivative of sec(x)?

8. Nov 21, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I figured the hint had to do with the fact that ##g(x) = f(x) + f'(x)##.

9. Nov 21, 2013 #8
    Ohhhh! How did I miss that... :surprised

I now understand why they asked for 5 derivatives of sec(x). It's so that I can obtain the x4 order term for the Maclaurin series of ##f'(x)##.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

10. Nov 21, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ohhh. Tricky!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted