Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet strength between 2 magnets

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    I have two identical magnet which measures 0.6T when I put my gauss meter on the top surface. I configured the magnets as below:
    upload_2015-4-14_7-23-0.png
    I would like to know what should I expect if I measure the strength(Tesla)at the red round dot position? Would it be 1.2 tesla?

Please advise.

Thank you

Regards,
    Vincent

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Depends on details of the surface measurement, but I would expect a value close to 0.6 T.

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    I agree, provided the gap is small, I would expect 0.6T.
    Vincent, an easy visualization why is, imagine the magnetic field lines coming out of the North pole of the bottom magnet. Now, because the top magnet is of equal strength, equally as many field lines need to enter into the South pole of the top magnet. The easiest way? All field lines from the bottom magnet go straight into the top magnet. Meaning, the lines will all be parallel to each other.
    That means then the magnetic field anywhere in that gap is the same, and since we know it's 0.6T at the surface of the magnets, we know its 0.6T anywhere in the gap.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4
    Thank you for your prompt reply, mfb and rumborak.

Do you guys have any reliable contacts to share, to purchase 2pcs of the abovementioned magnets, but at higher strength, 1.5T, minimum 1.0T?

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Above 1 Tesla is problematic, but there are many vendors where you can ask what they have.

You do realize that the magnets will attract each other with a force stronger than the weight of a car, right?

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6
    mfb, do you care to share a few contacts? I am fire fighting with this purchase issue now

8. Apr 14, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

I don't have contacts, but google finds many magnet vendors.
    Where/how would you use those magnets?

9. Apr 14, 2015 #8
    mfb, the reason I asked for contacts is because I tried too many vendors, but none of them can produce it.
    I can't share the application, my client does not allow me to leak it, sorry

10. Apr 14, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

You could try to put multiple smaller magnets together. Make sure the mechanical support is really strong.

0.6 Tesla is in the range of electromagnets, those could be an alternative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook