Magnet strength between 2 magnets

In summary, the group discussed the measurement of two identical magnets and the expected magnetic strength at a specific position. They also mentioned the possibility of purchasing magnets with higher strength, and the potential dangers of using such strong magnets. Multiple vendors were suggested, and the option of using electromagnets was also brought up. The conversation ended with a mention of finding alternative solutions due to client confidentiality.
vincenttswong
Hi all,
I have two identical magnet which measures 0.6T when I put my gauss meter on the top surface. I configured the magnets as below:
upload_2015-4-14_7-23-0.png

I would like to know what should I expect if I measure the strength(Tesla)at the red round dot position? Would it be 1.2 tesla?

Please advise.

Thank you

Regards,
Vincent

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on details of the surface measurement, but I would expect a value close to 0.6 T.

I agree, provided the gap is small, I would expect 0.6T.
Vincent, an easy visualization why is, imagine the magnetic field lines coming out of the North pole of the bottom magnet. Now, because the top magnet is of equal strength, equally as many field lines need to enter into the South pole of the top magnet. The easiest way? All field lines from the bottom magnet go straight into the top magnet. Meaning, the lines will all be parallel to each other.
That means then the magnetic field anywhere in that gap is the same, and since we know it's 0.6T at the surface of the magnets, we know its 0.6T anywhere in the gap.

Thank you for your prompt reply, mfb and rumborak.

Do you guys have any reliable contacts to share, to purchase 2pcs of the abovementioned magnets, but at higher strength, 1.5T, minimum 1.0T?

Above 1 Tesla is problematic, but there are many vendors where you can ask what they have.

You do realize that the magnets will attract each other with a force stronger than the weight of a car, right?

mfb, do you care to share a few contacts? I am fire fighting with this purchase issue now

I don't have contacts, but google finds many magnet vendors.
Where/how would you use those magnets?

mfb, the reason I asked for contacts is because I tried too many vendors, but none of them can produce it.
I can't share the application, my client does not allow me to leak it, sorry

You could try to put multiple smaller magnets together. Make sure the mechanical support is really strong.

0.6 Tesla is in the range of electromagnets, those could be an alternative.

1. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force between two magnets?

The strength of the magnetic force between two magnets is affected by several factors, including the distance between the magnets, the size and shape of the magnets, and the type and strength of the magnetic material they are made of. Additionally, the orientation of the magnets (whether they are aligned or opposing each other) can also impact the strength of the magnetic force.

2. Can the strength of a magnet be increased or decreased?

Yes, the strength of a magnet can be increased or decreased by changing its physical properties. For example, increasing the size or magnetic material of a magnet can increase its strength, while heating or dropping a magnet can decrease its strength. Additionally, the strength of a magnet can also be affected by its environment, such as exposure to other magnetic fields.

3. How does the distance between two magnets affect the strength of their magnetic force?

The strength of the magnetic force between two magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two magnets increases, the strength of their magnetic force decreases exponentially. Therefore, the closer two magnets are to each other, the stronger their magnetic force will be.

4. Is there a limit to how strong a magnetic force can be between two magnets?

Yes, there is a limit to how strong a magnetic force can be between two magnets. This limit is determined by the magnetic material and size of the magnets. Once the maximum strength of the magnetic material has been reached, any further increase in size or magnetic material will not significantly increase the strength of the magnetic force between the two magnets.

5. Can the polarity of two magnets affect the strength of their magnetic force?

Yes, the polarity of two magnets can affect the strength of their magnetic force. When the poles of two magnets are aligned, the magnetic force between them is stronger, while opposing poles will result in a weaker magnetic force. This is because aligned poles create a concentrated and continuous magnetic field, while opposing poles create a more dispersed and disrupted magnetic field.