What could be causing unexpected results in my magnetic circuit?

In summary, the speaker designed a magnetic circuit with a C core and air gap using FEMM software. The core is made of 1018 steel and their calculations and simulations gave similar results. However, when tested, the results were lower than expected. They are seeking suggestions on what may have gone wrong and if there are any factors to consider, and also requested a drawing of the electromagnet.
Cahane
Hello,

I have designed a magnetic circuit.. C core with an air gap. I calculated the circuit as well as doing a simulation on it using FEMM software. The core is from 1018 steel. My calculation and simulation gave almost similar result.. So, there is no problem in my calculation or simulation. The problem is, when I tested the magnetic circuit.. the result is very different (low than I expected).. Can somebody suggest or give the suggestion on where when wrong? Is there anything that I should consider?

Thanks,
Cahane

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please post a drawing of the electromagnet?

Very roughly, if the gap is small relative to the pole tip width, the magnetic field in the gap should be about

B = μ0NI/h Tesla

where NI = amp-turns, h = gap height, and μ0 = 4π x 10-7 Henrys per meter.

Bob S

1. What is a magnetic circuit practical?

A magnetic circuit practical is a laboratory experiment or activity that involves the study and manipulation of magnetic circuits, which are pathways for magnetic flux to flow through materials.

2. What are the main components of a magnetic circuit practical?

The main components of a magnetic circuit practical typically include a power source, a magnetic material, and various measuring devices such as a gaussmeter or an ammeter.

3. How is a magnetic circuit practical set up?

A magnetic circuit practical is typically set up by connecting the power source to the magnetic material, which can be in the form of a bar magnet, an electromagnet, or a magnetic core. The measuring devices are then placed at different points along the circuit to record data.

4. What can be learned from a magnetic circuit practical?

A magnetic circuit practical can demonstrate the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with different materials. It can also show how changing parameters such as the intensity of the magnetic field or the type of material affect the overall circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic circuit practicals?

Magnetic circuit practicals have various real-world applications, including in the design and optimization of electric motors, generators, and transformers. They also play a crucial role in the development of magnetic materials for use in electronic devices and other industries.