Magnetic field and currents problem

In summary, we are trying to find the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 5.0 cm above a long straight wire oriented north-south, where conventional current flows from south to north. By using the right-hand rule, we can determine that the magnetic field would be clockwise above the current. To find the magnitude of the field, we must add the field due to the wire to the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field, using vector analysis. Finally, the current in the wire can be found by using the equation B = (u x I) / 2 x pi x r, where r is the distance of 5.0 cm from the wire.
waterbottle12

Homework Statement

8) A long straight horizontal wire is oriented along the north-south direction. Conventional
current flows through the wire from south to north.
a) What is the direction of the magnetic field at a point 5.0 cm above the wire?
b) A compass placed 5.0 cm above the wire points at a 14º angle from north. Assuming that
the Earth's magnetic field points due north, and that the horizontal component of the Earth's field
has a magnitude of 4.0 × 10-5 T, what is the magnitude of the field due to the wire?
c) What is the current in the wire?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. well since the conventional current is down...I put my thumb down and by RHR, the magnetic field would be clockwise..but I'm not sure what would be the case above the current...

b. Are we finding a magnetic field that when combined with the horizontal component has a direction of 14 from North? o.o

c. At first I thought it was B = (u x I) / 2 x pi x r where u is the permeability of free space consant...but then I saw that r isn't given :/ so now I am confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

a. Maybe you should give the answer in term of East, West, South and North direction don't you think?

b. Magnetic field have to be added so if you know the direction of the field generated by the wire you just need to add to it the magnetic field from the earth. The final result is what is measured by the compass. Normally, using simple vectorial analysis you can get the result.

c. Isn't the distance r you are looking for just the 5 cm distance from the wire?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force.

2. How are magnetic fields and currents related?

Magnetic fields are created by electric currents. As electric charges flow through a conductor, they produce a magnetic field around the conductor. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor.

3. What is the right-hand rule in relation to magnetic fields and currents?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of a magnetic field or current. It states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will wrap around in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How do magnetic fields affect charged particles?

Magnetic fields exert a force on charged particles that are moving through them. The direction and strength of the force depend on the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields and currents?

Magnetic fields and currents have many practical applications, such as in electromagnets used in motors and generators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in many electronic devices, such as speakers and computer hard drives.