Magnetic Field at a point outside a solenoid

In summary, the magnetic field at a point outside of a current carrying solenoid is only approximately zero. This is due to the fact that the solenoid is composed of an infinite set of current strips that are infinitesimally wide. Any cross-sectional view of the solenoid will show two current strips running in opposite directions but on the interior, the currents work together. If P is outside the solenoid, the nearest current element may run parallel to \phi and the farther one will run opposite.
zorro
Someone please explain me why is the magnetic field at a point outside a current carrying solenoid 0?
I read many books but can't understand what they mean.
I understood that the magnetic field at a point in between to adjacent coils is 0 as the 2 fields oppose each other. Why and how is it 0 outside the solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's only zero to a good approximation. In actuality if you were to measure it you would see a small (relative to the field inside) magnetic field that loops around in a manner similar to a bar magnet.

Yes I know that it is just an approximation, but can't understand how that approximation is reached. Someone please help!

Well, it has to do with the fact that for an infinite solenoid, you have sources of infinite size. Sources of infinite size generally indicate that their resulting fields are independent of one or more dimensions. For example, a point source charge gives rise to a field that falls off as 1/r^2. A line source of charge gives rise to a field of 1/\rho (where \rho is the perpendicular distance from the line source). A sheet of charge gives rise to a static field.

So what happens when we look at our solenoid? Well, one way to look at a solenoid is that it is composed of a set of infinitely tall strips of transverse current that are infinitesimally wide. That is, instead of thinking of the solenoid as an inifinite set of current loops, we divide up the loops into sections of d\phi that are infinitely long.

So now I have a current strip that has dimensions of -\infty < z < \infty by r*d\phi and the current runs in the \phi direction (where r is the radius of the solenoid). It turns out that the magnetic field contributed by this strip is constant,

[tex] d\mathbf{B} = \frac{\mu_0 K}{2\pi} d\phi \hat{z} [/tex]

Now for a cylindrical solenoid, any cross-sectional view of the solenoid is one where we will see two of these strips but with currents running in opposite directions. On the interior, these currents work together but on the exterior they oppose. Since they are independent of distance (since they are infinite sources) then the two current strips perfectly cancel each other out outside of the solenoid.

Actually, I found a link to a paper that discusses part of what I stated above: http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/EM/espinoza_ajp_71_953_03.pdf

To make sense of what I said above in relation to Figure 1, let's assume the observation point P is the center of the solenoid. Then the currents that we see at P at any point along the solenoid all run in the same direction with respect to the direction \phi. However, if P is outside the solenoid, then in a cross-sectional view, the nearest current element may run parallel to \phi and the farther one will run opposite. If I had a tablet PC it would be easy for me to draw some pictures to make this clear but give it a think and it should become apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks born2bwire!

Related to Magnetic Field at a point outside a solenoid

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

How is the magnetic field calculated at a point outside a solenoid?

The magnetic field at a point outside a solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid, and I is the electric current passing through the solenoid.

What factors affect the magnetic field strength at a point outside a solenoid?

The magnetic field strength at a point outside a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the solenoid, the strength of the electric current passing through it, and the distance from the solenoid.

Is the magnetic field inside a solenoid different from the magnetic field outside?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a solenoid is strong and uniform, while the magnetic field outside the solenoid is weaker and less uniform.

Can the direction of the magnetic field be determined at a point outside a solenoid?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field outside a solenoid can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in a clockwise direction, the magnetic field will point in the direction of the fingers of your right hand when your thumb points in the direction of the current.