Magnetic field from four wires

In summary, the conversation is about finding an expression for the gradient \tilde B given a current I through four parallel wires of finite length L. The person is seeking help and clarifying that it is not a homework question. They also mention that there is no gradient along the wire-axis, according to Maxwell's equation.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I am looking at four parallel wires of finite length L, whose currents run in the directions shown in the attached figure. There is no gradient along the wire-axis, so from Maxwell's equation
[tex]
\frac{dB_x}{dx} = -\frac{dB_y}{dy} \equiv \tilde B.
[/tex]
How would I go about finding an expression for the gradient [itex]\tilde B[/itex] given some current I though the wires? This isn't a homework question, I have just not been able to find the answer anywhere.

Niles.

Attachments

• four_wires.JPG
    four_wires.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I am looking at four parallel wires of finite length L, whose currents run in the directions shown in the attached figure. There is no gradient along the wire-axis, so from Maxwell's equation
[tex]
\frac{dB_x}{dx} = -\frac{dB_y}{dy} \equiv \tilde B.
[/tex]
How would I go about finding an expression for the gradient [itex]\tilde B[/itex] given some current I though the wires? This isn't a homework question, I have just not been able to find the answer anywhere.

Niles.

I'm not seeing the figure...?

Sorry, I'll upload it in just a few minutes. Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: I have attached it now. Thanks.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnetic object or a moving electric charge. It is responsible for the attractive or repulsive forces between magnets and can also affect the motion of charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created by four wires?

A magnetic field is created by the flow of electric current through a wire. When four wires are placed close together and electric current is passed through them in a specific direction, the magnetic fields produced by each wire combine and form a larger magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field from four wires?

The strength of the magnetic field from four wires is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wires, the distance between the wires, and the direction of the current. The material of the wires can also have an impact on the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined in this setup?

The direction of the magnetic field from four wires is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

5. What are the practical applications of the magnetic field from four wires?

The magnetic field from four wires has several practical applications, including electromagnets used in cranes and motors, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in medical imaging, and particle accelerators in scientific research. It also plays a role in the operation of generators and transformers in power plants.