Magnetic field inside square conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the magnetic field at any point inside a square conductor with side length m needs to be determined. The person has already derived an equation for the magnetic field at the center of the square, but is unsure how to modify it to find the field at any point x,y inside the loop. They wonder if this problem is too advanced for the current section or if it should be posted in the Physics with calculus section.
Endurance
Hello everybody,

I got a small question and was wondering if somebody could help me with that.

Problem:

I have a square conductor with side length m. I am now trying to figure out what the magnetic field B is at any point inside that square.

Here is what I've come up with so far and I think I am pretty close:

The magnetic field at the center is B=(4*u_0*I)/4pi*a)*(cos(pi/4)-cos(3pi/4))

where a=m/2 and u_0= the permeability of free space

But how could I change this now to give me the B field for any point x,y inside that loop?

Thanks,
Endurance

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this too advanced for this section? Do I maybe have to post this in the Physics with calculus section?

Hello Endurance,

Your approach to finding the magnetic field at the center of the square conductor is correct. To find the magnetic field at any point inside the conductor, you can use the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the current-carrying element.

In this case, the current-carrying element is the square conductor, and the distance from the point to the conductor can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. You can then use the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field at any point inside the conductor.

However, keep in mind that the magnetic field inside the conductor will not be uniform, as it depends on the distance from the current-carrying element. It will be highest at the center and decrease as you move towards the edges of the square.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is a magnetic field inside a square conductor?

A magnetic field inside a square conductor refers to the region around the conductor where the magnetic force is present. It is created by the flow of electric current through the conductor and can be measured using a magnetic field strength meter.

2. How is the magnetic field inside a square conductor calculated?

The magnetic field inside a square conductor can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2 * π * r), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the conductor, and r is the distance from the center of the conductor to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

3. Does the shape of the conductor affect the magnetic field inside?

Yes, the shape of the conductor does affect the magnetic field inside. In a square conductor, the magnetic field is strongest at the corners and decreases as you move towards the center. In a circular conductor, the magnetic field is more uniform and evenly distributed.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field inside a square conductor?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the magnetic field inside a square conductor. The magnetic field will form concentric circles around the conductor in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction, depending on the direction of the current flow.

5. What factors can impact the strength of the magnetic field inside a square conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a square conductor can be impacted by the amount of current flowing through the conductor, the distance from the conductor, and the permeability of the material surrounding the conductor. Additionally, the shape and size of the conductor can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.