Magnetic field lines through copper

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a copper electron gun in a CRT instead of a glass one, and whether the displacements of the electron beam would be linear. The target material is also mentioned and it is concluded that it should not affect the deflection of the beam. The conversation also mentions the use of scanning coils and how they may affect the magnetic field configuration.
Ravaner
Hello. Assume an electron gun, as in CRT, made of plumbing copper instead of glass. Using magnetic scanning coils to move electron beam. Will the displacements of this beam be linear as if tube material was made of glass ? PS : this is not an exercise by though but a real problem I encounter in a system I've developped.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the target is uncharged, I don't see any reason to expect a deflection, independent of the target material.
If your question does not refer to the screen, I don't see what you want to replace.

Thanks for reply. To give more details my rig is an homemade Scanning Electron Microscope. Previously I used scanning coils inside vacuum, but for room problem coils are small and produce low induction field. With outside coils bigger than internal ones) it works better but I'm not sure that deflection of electron beam is the exact image of the field produced by external coils (saw tooth).

I don't think I understand that description without a sketch.
Copper and glass do not influence magnetic fields significantly. If you don't care about nanometers, I would not expect any changes in the magnetic field configuration.

That is exactly the answer I was expecting for. Many thanks to you.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of space around a magnet or electric current where the force of magnetism can be detected. It is represented by lines that show the direction and strength of the magnetic force.

How are magnetic field lines created in copper?

Magnetic field lines are created in copper when an electric current flows through it. Copper is a good conductor of electricity, so when a current is applied, it allows the magnetic field to pass through it and form lines.

Why does a magnetic field pass through copper?

Copper is a non-magnetic material, meaning it is not naturally magnetic. However, because it is a good conductor of electricity, it allows the magnetic field to pass through it without resistance.

Can the direction of the magnetic field lines through copper be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field lines through copper can be changed by altering the direction of the electric current passing through it. The magnetic field lines will always be perpendicular to the direction of the electric current.

What are the practical applications of magnetic field lines through copper?

Magnetic field lines through copper have various applications, including in generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to create detailed images of the inside of the human body.