1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field lines through copper

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    Hello. Assume an electron gun, as in CRT, made of plumbing copper instead of glass. Using magnetic scanning coils to move electron beam. Will the displacements of this beam be linear as if tube material was made of glass ? PS : this is not an exercise by though but a real problem I encounter in a system I've developped.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the target is uncharged, I don't see any reason to expect a deflection, independent of the target material.
    If your question does not refer to the screen, I don't see what you want to replace.

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    Thanks for reply. To give more details my rig is an homemade Scanning Electron Microscope. Previously I used scanning coils inside vacuum, but for room problem coils are small and produce low induction field. With outside coils bigger than internal ones) it works better but I'm not sure that deflection of electron beam is the exact image of the field produced by external coils (saw tooth).

5. May 26, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think I understand that description without a sketch.
    Copper and glass do not influence magnetic fields significantly. If you don't care about nanometers, I would not expect any changes in the magnetic field configuration.

6. May 28, 2013 #5
    That is exactly the answer I was expecting for. Many thanks to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook