Measuring Magnetic Field in Rotating Frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of rotation on a magnet and magnetometer system. It is hypothesized that in a rotating frame, there will be a decrease in the measured magnetic field on the coil axis due to a tilt in the opposite direction of the rotation. Additionally, the conversation delves into the use of tensors in solving this problem and the role of the electric field in the non-rotating frame. The discussion also touches on bipolar charges generated by Lorentz transformations and their impact on the electric field.
Xynon
Consider that we have a magnet and a magnetometer (a fluxgate magnetometer with a single coil), standing still as shown in fig 1.

In fig 1, the magnetic field measured at the axis z1 of the magnetometer coil is B1.

But if everything (magnet, magnetometer and the axes) was rotating together around the x-axis as in fig 2, would there be a decrease in the measured magnetic field on the coil axis z1 due to the retarded angular position ∆θ? In other words, a tilt in the opposite direction of the rotation which decreases the component of B1 on the coil axis z1 ?

If so, could we state that B'1=B1 cos (∆θ) ?

Can we say that this angle of tilt ∆θ is a phase shift, if we consider the rotating magnet as a transmitting and the coil as a receiving antenna?
sk1Wy.jpg

l3Yln.jpg

Attachments

• sk1Wy.jpg
    sk1Wy.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 660
  • l3Yln.jpg
    l3Yln.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org
If the frame rotates around the dipole, labelled M1 on the diagram, there will be an effect on the reading of coil, B1, due to the motion of the coil due to the velocity of B1 induced by the rotation. I haven't worked out what this effect will be, exactly.

If I understand the problem correctly, in the non-rotating frame the E field is zero everywhere. This will basically specify what we mean by the non-rotating frame, it's the only frame where the E-field is zero everywhere. It will also be the only inertial frame. Therefore, if we rely on high-school/undergraduate physics methods that only work in inertial frames, that's the frame we solve the problem in.

The most concise description of this approach is to say that the combined B and E field are the components of a rank-2 tensor, the so-called Faraday tensor, and that the tensor nature of the Faraday tensor defines how it must transform. The tensor description implies by the definition of how tensors transform that only velocities matter, not rotations or accelerations.

The tensor approach gives us the freedom to solve the problem in one frame, and transform the solution to another frame, including non-inertial rotating frames.

However, if one is not familiar with tensors, this concise description may not help. My best answer in that case is to say that the problem specification defines a specific frame where the E-field is zero, and we work out the solution to the problem in that frame. Without tensors, one is generally taught to re-solve the problem in every new frame. There might be some discussion of how solutions in one frame imply solutions in other frames without tensors, but I'm not aware of where one might find a discussion that doesn't involve tensors.

There is probably a better high-school/undergraduate level approach , but I don't know what it is. We do have discussions of Newtonian physics in rotating frames at this level, so why can't we solve this dipole in-a-rotating frame problem at this level? I suspect that one of the issues here is that Maxwell's equations are essentially relativistic rather than Newtonian, and that this is the ultimate stumbling block here. But that observation isn't high-school/undergraduate level either.

Xynon said:
If so, could we state that B'1=B1 cos (∆θ) ?

Yes. In IFR where the magnetic dipole is rotating, it takes time for the dipole position signal to reach measuring point.
In rotation system geometry change or curved geodesic would explain the phenomena though I have not been into detail.

pervect said:
f I understand the problem correctly, in the non-rotating frame the E field is zero everywhere. This will basically specify what we mean by the non-rotating frame, it's the only frame where the E-field is zero everywhere. It will also be the only inertial frame. Therefore, if we rely on high-school/undergraduate physics methods that only work in inertial frames, that's the frame we solve the problem in.

Circuit current which generates magnetic dipole is bipolar charged by Lorentz transformation of tangent speed by rotation. These charges generate electric field. See formula (13.24), (13.25) and (13.26) in Feynman http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_13.html
I am not sure thus generated electric field has something to do with OP's question at least directly.

pervect said:
If the frame rotates around the dipole, labelled M1 on the diagram, there will be an effect on the reading of coil, B1, due to the motion of the coil due to the velocity of B1 induced by the rotation.

I need to clarify/ammend this. If B1 and B2 are two measuring instruments at the same point in space, and if B1 is at rest in the non-rotating frame, and B2 is at rest in the rotating frame, then B1 and B2 have different velocities. B1 and B2 also differ in a relative rotation, though we can assume that the axes of B1 and B2 align at that instant of time in which they co-incide.

By "rotating frame", I mean a frame rotating around the source at M1, as I mentioned in the previous post.

The velocity difference between B1 and B2 causes differences in their readings. The rotation about the origin doesn't cause any differences in readings _at the origin of rotation_.

What is a rotating frame?

A rotating frame is a reference frame that rotates at a constant angular velocity relative to an inertial frame, or a frame that is not accelerating or rotating. It is commonly used in studying rotational motion and systems, such as rotating machinery or celestial bodies.

Why is it important to measure magnetic fields in a rotating frame?

Measuring magnetic fields in a rotating frame allows for a better understanding of how magnetic fields interact with rotating objects, such as electric motors or generators. It also helps in studying the phenomenon of magnetization in rotating systems, which has practical applications in fields such as materials science and geophysics.

How is magnetic field measured in a rotating frame?

Magnetic field in a rotating frame is measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The magnetometer is placed in the rotating frame and its readings are then corrected for the rotation of the frame to obtain the actual magnetic field values.

What are the challenges in measuring magnetic fields in a rotating frame?

One of the main challenges in measuring magnetic fields in a rotating frame is the presence of stray magnetic fields, which can interfere with the readings of the magnetometer. These stray fields can be caused by nearby electric currents, magnetic materials, or other sources. Another challenge is the rotation of the frame itself, which can introduce errors in the measurements if not properly accounted for.

What are the applications of measuring magnetic fields in a rotating frame?

Measuring magnetic fields in a rotating frame has numerous applications in engineering, physics, and geophysics. It is used in the design and testing of rotating machinery, such as motors and generators, as well as in the study of celestial bodies and their magnetic fields. It also has applications in materials science, where it can be used to study the magnetic properties of rotating materials.