1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of a coaxial cable

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    The figure below is a cross-sectional view of a coaxial cable. The center conductor is surrounded by a rubber layer, which is surrounded by an outer conductor, which is surrounded by another rubber layer. In a particular application, the current in the inner conductor is 1.86 A out of the page, and the current in the outer conductor is 2.13 A into the page.

FIGURE: http://east.ilrn.com/graphing/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=802444537

(a) Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field at point a.
    (b) Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field at point b.

I got part a, which is (mu*I1)/(2*pi*.002). I can't seem to get the right answer for part b. I tried (mu*I2)/(2*pi*.006), where I2 equals the current of the outer conductor. Also, I tried (mu*I3)/(2*pi*.002). All these still give me the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

Please help me...Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

For b) you need to take a circular Amperian loop of radius 6mm, and the enclosed current is I2 - I1. So if you apply Ampere's Law, the answer is mu*(I2 - I1)/(2*pi*0.006).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?