1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic Field of Current loop around the Core

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    Hello friends, I am trying to find how calculate the magnetic field created by current loop considering that there is a some geometry of material that can enhance the magnetic field. I thought it can be solved by multipling by permeability μ but realized that the iron core changes the picture of magnetic qualitatively.

To illustrate this i attached image for: only coil (1) and coil around the iron bar (2).

For the first picture, it is easy to integrate by Bio-Savart-Laplace law, but..
    How to find he field for any point at the second picture?

image.jpg

Or, more complicated case:
    mm2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

The latter case is easy if the width of the airgap is small ( the magnetic field in the airgap is almost homogenous ).

From Ampere's law you know that
    H⋅ds = N*I ( complete circular path )
    Also you know that Hiron = μr,iron * Hair

In case of the rod/solenoid, you don't quite know the path of the magnetic field. Some numeric calculation will be needed. ( See my avatar ).

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3
    Nice image! What can you advise to make a numeric calculation? Is it possible to apply a vector potential (B=curl (A)) to have the solution for complex geometry?

5. Oct 15, 2016 #4

Hesch

Gold Member

I have used high precision Biot-Savart calculation. Just use a 3D compass and follow the field direction from some point, until the field bites its own tail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted