Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of Magnetic Dipole Moment

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    I'm seeking some clarification on a topic found in Jackson 'Classical Electrodynamics' Chapter 5. This deals with the magnetic field of a localised current distribution, where the magnetic vector potential is given by
    [tex]\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}[/tex]

and the magnetic induction [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] is the curl of this [tex]\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex].
    I know that the end result should be
    [tex]\vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left[\frac{3\vec{n}\left(\vec{n}\cdot\vec{m} - \vec{m}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right][/tex]
    Where [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] is the unit vector in the direction of [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]
    But I'm struggling to do this calculation for myself.

I know that
    [tex]\vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left(\nabla \times \left(\frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right)\right) \\
    = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left(\vec{m}\left(\nabla\cdot\frac{\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right) - \frac{\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\left(\nabla\cdot \vec{m}\right)\right)[/tex]

How does Jackson end up at the result quoted?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Your second term is wrong. It should be
    [tex]-({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right][/tex].

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    Hi

I'm new to this forum! Googleing for the questioned problem I found this forum. Having the same problem as the author of this thread, I want to ask if someone has a solution on how Jackson found the formula for [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]?

I tried my luck with the product rule [tex]\nabla\times(\vec{A}\times\vec{B})=(\vec{B}\cdot\nabla)\vec{A}-(\vec{A}\cdot\nabla)\vec{B}+\vec{A}(\nabla\cdot\vec{B})-\vec{B}(\nabla\cdot\vec{A})[/tex] but came to no conclusion.

kind regards,
    derivator

(sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

As I said in my post, the curl of the cross product should be
    [tex]\vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left(\nabla \times \left(\frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right)\right) \\
    = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left(\vec{m}\left(\nabla\cdot\frac{\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right) - ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right][/tex].
    This follows because m is a constant so only two terms of your four enter.
    Given this result, the first term is a delta function is not needed if r>0.
    The second term gives the result in the first post if the delta function singularity at the origin is again ignored.
    Jackson is a bit obscure on this.

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5
    Hi,
    thanks for your answer.

Could you get a bit more detailed on how to show that

[tex]- ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right]=\left[\frac{3\vec{n}\left(\vec{n}\cdot\vec{m}\right) - \vec{m}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right][/tex]

is correct?

7. Apr 5, 2009 #6

clem

Science Advisor

You really need a better textbook.
    Sorry I can't seem to find my latex error below. If hyou can read or correct it, it should show you what to do.
    - ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right]=
    -{\vec x} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3}
    -\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla){\vec x}

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. Apr 5, 2009 #7

clem

Science Advisor

The point is that the m.del acts on only one function at a time.

9. Mar 22, 2011 #8
    [tex]
    - (\vec{m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec{x}}{|\vec {x}|^3}\right]=
    -{\vec x} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3}
    -\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla){\vec x}
    [/tex]

10. Mar 22, 2011 #9
    [tex]\nabla\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=\left(\nabla\frac{1}{r^{3}}\right)\vec{r}+\frac{\nabla\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=-\frac{3\vec{r}\vec{r}}{r^{5}}+\frac{\mathbf{I}}{r^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{m}\cdot\nabla\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=\vec{m}\cdot\left(-\frac{3\vec{r}\vec{r}}{r^{5}}+\frac{\mathbf{I}}{r^{3}}\right)=-\frac{3(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{r})\vec{r}}{r^{5}}+\frac{\vec{m}}{r^{3}}[/tex]

I is the unit tensor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?