Magnetic Field outside AC Solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the right expression to calculate the magnetic field outside of an AC driven solenoid. The person suggests using a time domain function of the current and provides a link for reference. They also suggest searching for "Transient field outside of solenoid" for more information.
craig_e
Hi

I have scoured the internet trying to find the right expression to calculate the magnetic field (B) outside of an AC driven solenoid. All i keep getting is stuff for DC driven or inside the solenoid.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Craig

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmmm

Without looking up any references, what comes to mind is simply plugging in the time domain function of the current into any DC formula you have.

For example.. the formula probably has a capital I in it... change that to small i then find the time domain function for i

like,

i = 6sin377

You'll end up with an answer that is also a trigonometric time varying function...

This might help:
http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/mathphysics/abstracts/ADP-AT-96-3.html

Try doing a google search using the term "Transient field outside of solenoid". You can also replace field with Magnetic or B-Field.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Magnetic Field outside AC Solenoid

1. What is a magnetic field outside an AC solenoid?

A magnetic field outside an AC solenoid is a region of space where magnetic forces are exerted on charged particles. It is created by the flow of alternating current (AC) through a coil of wire, known as a solenoid, and can be detected using a compass or other magnetic field measuring instruments.

2. How is the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid different from a DC solenoid?

The main difference between the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid and a DC solenoid is that the magnetic field in an AC solenoid is constantly changing direction due to the alternating current, while in a DC solenoid, the magnetic field remains constant. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field in an AC solenoid may vary over time, while in a DC solenoid, it remains consistent.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the frequency of the alternating current. The material of the core inside the solenoid can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid change with the direction of the current?

The direction of the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid is determined by the direction of the current flowing through the coil. As the alternating current changes direction, the magnetic field also changes direction. This means that the magnetic field outside the solenoid will alternate between pointing towards and away from the solenoid.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field outside an AC solenoid?

The magnetic field outside an AC solenoid has many practical applications, including in transformers, motors, generators, and electromagnetic induction devices. It is also used in various medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and can be used to manipulate charged particles in particle accelerators.