Magnetic Field and Voltage in a Conductive Tape: The Hall Effect

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a 150 micro.m thick copper tape in a magnetic field of 0.65 to determine the voltage on the edges of the tape. The equation used was U = dBS/dt, but the result obtained did not match the expected result of 7.4 microV. The suggestion to look into "The Hall Effect" was given as a hint to find the correct equations and application for the given scenario.
iverse
Puting a 150 micro.m tick coper tape into a magnetic fild of 0.65. The current going through the tape = 23 A. What is the voltage on the edges of that tape ?

Homework Equations

I used this equation: U = dBS/dt
and then - > (B*r^2*pi*I)/e_0

The Attempt at a Solution

Resoult should be 7.4 microV

Physics news on Phys.org
Just showing what the result should be is not enough; please show us what attempts you have made to obtain that result. We can't help you if we can't see what you have tried.

PeterDonis said:
Just showing what the result should be is not enough; please show us what attempts you have made to obtain that result. We can't help you if we can't see what you have tried.
What do you mean ? The resoult is not mine is from the book. Its what it should be not what i get. From the equation i put up i get totaly difrent stuff i don't even think its the right one. I hope someone can resolve this...

PeterDonis said:
Sorry * hmm i didn t even see it said the attempt :P. Its the actual resoult as i said.

iverse said:
Its what it should be not what i get.

So what do you get and how do you get it?

PeterDonis said:
So what do you get and how do you get it?
I use the equation that i wrote. The resoult is really irelevant cus it must be wrong but here it is.

B= 0.65 r = 0.75 * 10^-6 and I = 23 so -> (0.65 * (0.75*10^-6)^2 * pi * 23) / (1.6 * 10^-19) = 1.65 * 10^8 is what i get

Where did your Relevant equations come from, and what is their area of application? The information in your problem statement doesn't seem to pertain to the variables in those equations.

Hint: Look up "The Hall Effect".

FAQ: Magnetic Field and Voltage in a Conductive Tape: The Hall Effect

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be thought of as invisible lines of force that surround a magnet or electric current.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is the Tesla (T).

3. What are the effects of a magnetic field on objects?

A magnetic field can have several effects on objects, depending on their properties. Magnetic materials, such as iron, will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field, while non-magnetic materials will not. Moving electric charges will also experience a force in a magnetic field.

4. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. This can occur naturally, as in the Earth's magnetic field, or it can be created artificially using magnets or electric currents.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications, including in motors and generators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and compasses. They are also used in data storage devices, such as hard drives, and in speakers and headphones to produce sound.