Diraction of Magnetic Field Due to an Infinitely Large Current

In summary, the author argues that if you have a current in the xy-plane, the magnetic field in the z-direction cannot be determined by symmetry alone.
pardesi
well i saw a proof in griffith about the diraction of magnetic field due to an infinitely large steady current carrying plate in x direction .well i could argue on the normal basis of an current element being at equal distances and component cancellingout...that the field has to be in y direction.
but then he gave a beautiful proof arguing on the line that if there were field in z direction then by biot savrt law reversing current would reverse it's direction
upto this everything was ok
then he writes but the field in z direction can't possibly depend on current direction in xy plane
why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
pardesi said:
well i saw a proof in griffith about the diraction of magnetic field due to an infinitely large steady current carrying plate in x direction .well i could argue on the normal basis of an current element being at equal distances and component cancellingout...that the field has to be in y direction.
but then he gave a beautiful proof arguing on the line that if there were field in z direction then by biot savrt law reversing current would reverse it's direction
upto this everything was ok
then he writes but the field in z direction can't possibly depend on current direction in xy plane
why is this?

You missed an important description to the problem. Since you have a plane, you did not tell us in which plane it is. All you did was gave the direction of the current.

From reading the rest of your post, I am guessing that this plane is in the xy-plane, with the current in the x-direction as stated. If this is true, then yes, by symmetry argument, the z-direction would not change if you change the direction of the current.

Think of what happens when, instead, you have the same plane, but now you have a uniform charge. The charge distribution has a translational symmetry in the xy plane, and it has reflection symmetry along a plane perpendicular to it. The field must have the same symmetry, and that's why you get an E-field along the z-direction.

Apply that to your problem. While the plane still has translational symmetry, an inversion of the current (or doing a reflection along the same plane) will now change the direction of the current. The field generated must also have the same symmetry.

Zz.

sorry i didn't metion that the current was in xy plane but can u explain why the change in current direction doesn't affetc the magnetic fiels along z axis

I thought I just did?!

Zz.

well if i am right u have written tht effectively if we change the direction of current by reflection then the field direction should also change then what...

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field around an infinitely large current?

The direction of the magnetic field around an infinitely large current is circular, with the direction of the field being perpendicular to the current and following the right-hand rule.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field change as distance from the current increases?

The direction of the magnetic field remains the same as distance from the current increases, however, the strength of the field decreases.

3. Is the direction of the magnetic field the same above and below the current?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field is the same above and below the current. This is because the field lines form concentric circles around the current and are symmetrical in all directions.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be reversed by reversing the direction of the current. This is because the direction of the field is dependent on the direction of the current.

5. How does the strength of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The strength of the current does not affect the direction of the magnetic field. Instead, it determines the strength or intensity of the field, with a stronger current resulting in a stronger magnetic field.